Urgent:received RFE (need some feedback)

nyctechie

Registered Users (C)
Hi, Before I describe my case, here is a brief timeline of my stay in the US.

1998 Aug : came to US 5 yrs (1998) ago on F1.

2000 Jan : Switched to H1B (after getting my MS).
Towards the end of 2001: The last company that I was working for (say **Company X**) closed down.

2002 April : I got an offer for Ph.D from the same school (where I did my MS from) and got an offer starting Fall 2002 (Sept).

2002 May : went to India sometime in May 2002 to switch to F1 visa. I came back on last week of August 2002 with a new F1 visa.

2002 June to 2003 Aug : I Was on my new F1 till last summer (aug 2003) and quit the Ph.D program for some personal reason. Before that I got offer from another company and filed for H1B (receipt date was July 1, 2003).

Recently I received an RFE. In short INS asked for following info..
1. Names of all employers, dates of employment and places of employment for past 3 yrs along
with any I-94/approval notices (H or L classification) from my previous employers.
2. A letter from company X that indicates position title, dates of employment and date of
termination with company X.

Now these are my concerns:

1. There was a 4/5 months gap between the date **Company X** gave me a check and the date I left USA to switch to F1. **Company X** helped me by not revoking my visa. As far as I remember, the closing down came as a verbal anouncement and they never gave me a letter of termination. My I-94 through **Company X** was valid till June, 2004. However if If INS comes to know about that gap , could that be a big issue?

2. **Company X** closed down completely. I'm not even in touch with any of the employees and don't even have any of their personal contact info. There is no way I can provide any letter from **Company X** at this moment.

I've withdrawn from the Ph.D program completely, last summer. So if for some reason, INS deny my case I'm afraid that I'll be completely out of status. I prepared the documents by myself (well used my previous H1B petitions as a template.. so it looks professional) and my employer is representing me.

My questions are.
0. In general how should I proceed?
1. Can I get a lawyer involved at this stage?
2. Can I appeal if they deny it?
3. I've very strong educational credentials. I can get recommendations from some well known professors and fellows of Research labs. Do you think that would help?
4. Can anyone recommend me a lawyer in NYC area?
5. Is anyone familier with this kind of case and the end result?
Thanks.
nyctechie

Last edited by a moderator:
By leaving USA you have reset the out of status period. I would suggest you hire a lawyer and proceed. Largely honesty is the only approach that will work.
If there are no records available from X, then what can you do? Company X folded up and you left the country-period. I dont think letters from emminent people will help.

Hi Jaxen, thanks for the reply! I still have a question..It is true that I left USA (to switch to F1) after my company closed down..but it was after a long 5 month after the company closed down (beyond the so callled 60 days grace period). Do you think that would still help me reseting the out of status thing? Please reply. I'll talk to a lawyer next week..Thanks again.
-nyctechie