urgent question: should I quit or allow to get laid off

zyx2002

Registered Users (C)
My finger printing was done on Dec 16 and priority date is November 2001. I485 ND is March 10 2004.

I just cant continue with my job anymore. I had a fight with my manager. Should I quit or will I wait to get laid off. I dont have a offer. Also I had a surgery recently so I need the medical insurance which is good with my present employer.

If I quit will that spoil my chances of getting GC? Can my company cancel the I485 applicatiin in that scenario?

pls do not quit

Hi

It is easy for people to say move on, in practicallity its not easy. alright you had fight with ur manager...what will u loose by asking him sorry.. take time think about it.. u will gain by asking sorry and goind down.. specially based on ur health condition... dont go though the stress of finding new job etc..

try to find the cause of the issue, identify why u had fight with ur manager.. schedule meeting with him.. humbly request him that it was ur mistake.. and mainly because u were not feeling good due to health reason.. and promise him it will not happen...no matter how bad ur manager is u should be able to resolve the issue.. regardless of the type or cause..

It is always better idea to continue in same job.. but if u happen to get new job offer then may be u can think about moving without which dont do any drastic decision... be patient.. its all good.. believe in something.. or belive in urself that u can make it work.. u can make ur mgr like u.. u can continue the same job...

regards
lakshmanan

zyx2002 said:
My finger printing was done on Dec 16 and priority date is November 2001. I485 ND is March 10 2004.

I just cant continue with my job anymore. I had a fight with my manager. Should I quit or will I wait to get laid off. I dont have a offer. Also I had a surgery recently so I need the medical insurance which is good with my present employer.

If I quit will that spoil my chances of getting GC? Can my company cancel the I485 applicatiin in that scenario?

Even if you decide to move you can still have your health insurance from the old company as per some state laws. Again that depends on the state you are in. Check that?>>

Thanks

Yes, you can get COBRA from ur company which will allow you to continue your coverage at a discounted rate than the fully paid premium. But remember COBRA expires in 18 months.

glrao said:
It is always better idea to continue in same job.. but if u happen to get new job offer then may be u can think about moving without which dont do any drastic decision... be patient..
agree with this..don't take drastic decision

I agree with every one.
Maintain quarrels low ...

kuch kone ke liye , kuch karna padtha hai......

Just calm down your manager, Once you get the GC without any issues, You will be no way see him in life if you move to a diff company at later stage....

You can get laid off because you had a fight with your manager. He/She cannot fire you based on one argument, there has to be a valid reason to lay you off.

can you express your situation in detail ? Is this effecting your performance?
Are you asking for increase in pay ? Did you discuss your goals ?

Also, if you are going to resign becuase of the fight you are asking for
trouble and accepting that it was your mistake.

zyx2002 said:

Lay off will be company policy, but firing can be at manager's discretion .....if he had rights...But I dont think any one will fire just for one stupid arguments...

nyte_crawler said:
Yes, you can get COBRA from ur company which will allow you to continue your coverage at a discounted rate than the fully paid premium. But remember COBRA expires in 18 months.

COBRA coverage is not 'discounted' - you have to pay the whole premium yourself (employee and employer share). All it lets you do is to extend your coverage period until you get covered under another plan. It does extend only 18 months and is federally mandated (not some states).

PhillyKP said:
COBRA coverage is not 'discounted' - you have to pay the whole premium yourself (employee and employer share). All it lets you do is to extend your coverage period until you get covered under another plan. It does extend only 18 months and is federally mandated (not some states).

Afaik, COBRA is discounted in that you get the same rate that the employer was paying (which is probably somewhat lower than you can get on your own).

ETA

When i meant discounted, as somebody pointed out here, it means less than what you can get it from outside on your own. Well some companies do pay a part of COBRA based on the severance deal. I know it because iam using my COBRA for about 8 months. Apologies for creating confusion and thanks for correcting.

I don't think you are that far away from getting your approval, you are just a few weeks behind me. I would recommend laying under the radar and continue there, but remember you need to continue for another 6 months - 1 year to be safe (there are conflicting opinions on this anyway). If you absolutely have to quit, do so before the 485 approval as you can use ACT21, the 6 month limit doesn't apply in that case.

BTW, company can't cancel your 485, you file the 485; company files 140, but at this point you are safe.

I am giving you both sides, nobody can decide for you but yourself.

Last edited by a moderator: