URGENT help, please what do we do???

Maru77

I am an ex-Fulbrighter, in the US since 2002. Just finished my PhD this summer and I am now on my first year of Academic Training. My husband came with me and is a J2. He has worked with an EAD ever since we got here, and the document was always renewed on time with no objections, every time our DS2019s were extended.
Well, not this time.... He applied online and received notice of "application pending" on Sept 7. On Nov 6 we got updated notice saying the EAD had been approved and the card was in production. A week later we log in again, and the status had been pushed back to the "pending" situation with a Sept 7date. Now the 90 days have gone by and still no card or update. We called numerous times and the really helpful (rolls eyes) customer service just took note and emailed Texas to request a revision, which might take 45 days, just to tell us what the status is. The strangest part is they say there is no record of a Nov 6 approval at all. His current EAD expires 12/15 and he will be immediately terminated. Worse part is all of us, including special needs child will lose health insurance coverage, and they still wont tell us anything at all. And we did start the process 100 days before expiration. Any ideas? We called numerous times, overnighted a pleading letter to Texas and to an officer in DC (done today). Is there anyone else we can reach out for an answer? Any phones or faxes at Texas directly? I suspect there was some kind of error and nobody will listen (I think they don't believe us when we say it was approved on 11/6). It is just ridiculous how our entire lives can change because of this glitch and nobody will listen!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am an ex-Flubrighter, in the US since 2002. Just finished my PhD this summer and I am now on my first year of Academic Training. My husband came with me and is a J2. He has worked with an EAD ever since we got here, and the document was always renewed on time with no objections, every time our DS2019s were extended.
Well, not this time.... He applied online and received notice of "application pending" on Sept 7. On Nov 6 we got updated notice saying the EAD had been approved and the card was in production. A week later we log in again, and the status had been pushed back to the "pending" situation with a Sept 7date. Now the 90 days have gone by and still no card or update. We called numerous times and the really helpful (rolls eyes) customer service just took note and emailed Texas to request a revision, which might take 45 days, just to tell us what the status is. The strangest part is they say there is no record of a Nov 6 approval at all. His current EAD expires 12/15 and he will be immediately terminated. Worse part is all of us, including special needs child will lose health insusrance coverage, and they still wont tell us anything at all. And we did start the process 100 days before expiration. Any ideas? We called numerous times, overnighted a pleading letter to Texas and to an officer in DC (done today). Is there anyone else we can reach out for an answer? Any phones or faxes at Texas directly? I suspect there was some kind of error and nobody will listen (I think they don't believe us when we say it was approved on 11/6). It is just ridiculous how our entire lives can change because of this glitch and nobody will listen!

Do you have valid DS or not? if no, then your spouse is not eligible to EAD anymore. The J2 EAD is linked to valid J1 of the principal J1 holder. If you finished your program (whether you are on academic training or not) by then he is not eligible anymore and your destination is to get H1 visa and he will be H4 (not eligible to work). I think they change the status because of the fact that you already finished your J status which is discovered during processing of the card after initial approval.

Thanks for your reply. I did not fisnish my J1 status. Academic training is part of the exchange program. I do (we both do) have valid DS2019s. When I finished my PhD program and got a job as part of the Academic Training, our sponsor extended both our DS forms, so he applied for the renewal EAD.
I managed to get a hold of someone at the Texas Service Center today and they asked for a letter to be faxed to them directly, so maybe this will help... I read elsewhere that a lot of the e-filed I-765 forms seem to be delayed...
Thanks again!
M.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
I just wanted to update. After numerous calls, letters, and faxed paperwork, I managed to talk to the actual officer who had my husbands case in the Texas Service Center, find out what was needed, fax it to him, and have it approved that same day. I guess the moral is to call call call and insist. Some of the customer service representatives in Texas were actually nice and willing to help. It took many calls and patience (and a little detective to work to get to Texas directly) but I am amazed that the actual officer called us to tell us what was going on with the case... Good luck to everyone still waiting, I know how stressful it is...
Mar