Urgent Help Needed

munu

Registered Users (C)
My wife's EAD is expiring on 08/15. Her renewal EAD was filed on 4/18 and no news about it yet. So last week we went to Local INS (orlando) to get the interim EAD and we were told that procedure are changed and they can no longer issue the interim EAD. They told us to fill the EAD form again and will be called for card in 1-2 months.
Now what should we do...her EAD is expiring this week and she is currently working on EAD. EAD renewal was filed more then 90 days back and we have the receipt.
Her I-485 was transfered to Local office in April and looks like EAD was also transfered.

What are her options now. Can she work based on the EAD renewal receipt. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Go to Miami

Miami is the district office. Based on the 90day pending time period rule (see INS TSC site) you can get the interim EAD in Miami. Go early and show EAD receipt notice (dont mention your orlando tryst). EAD renewal will be issued the same day afternoon. (See Miami SC site )

You have to stand in the line for general enquiry (that is what it is called) and not the AP/GC stamping Q. People stand in the line from 2 AM there. So you need a gameplan for food, parking (after 9 am every curbside car , cars in wendy's etc will be towed) and leg stamina :)
Some have risked going at 10 AM and reduce waiting time (but elevated BP, since it is always touch and go).

My friend went at 4 AM and was let into the entrance at 11Am and saw the IIO at 12 Noon and got interim EAD at 3.30 PM (main entrance ) This was during Feb 2002

Jaxen, I couldn't find anything on Miami website....they just mentioned to call some phone number.
Do you know where can I find more information about gettng interim EAD in Miami.
Do you know of any recent procedure changes in issuing interim EAD. Can we go for interim EAD in any office or we have to goto out local office only.

Thanks for your help. I will try this option if nothing worked out.

:eek:
You have to go to a district office to get interim EAD (especially in TSC area)
Use web site for information about address etc. Only if you go there you will know.

Question.

When one is on H1 and has applied for the H1 extension, he/she can continue working even if the current H1 petition / visa has expired (because the H1 extension is pending).

But is the rule different for EAD (renewal)?

yes

The rule is different for EAD as it has nothign to do with 'status'. You can continue to stay in the US even without EAD at all just as long as 485 is in process. Same way you H-1 is in process and you can stay, continue to work. (Think H-1 more like 485 than EAD).