Urgent: Can I get my TN visa in US/Mexico boarder ?

lvx2011

Registered Users (C)
I am a Canadian working in US on TN. I am going to San Diego in a couple days for a business trip, and I also just got another job offer. May I be able to apply for this new TN visa at the US/Mexico boarder near San Diego? What is the best way to get there from San Diego ?
thanks

Yes, you can.
You need to get to San Ysidro but you should cross by foot.
Take FWY 5 towards the border and take "LAST USA Exit". If you do that go straight and you will get to Duty Free Shop. There is a paid parking there. Leave your car and cross to Mexico, turn around, cross to the other side of the street. Border building is on the right side before US Customs building.
When you get back to US turn immediately left and up the stairs to cross over FWY5 and get back to your car.

Yes you can do that. Just make sure you pull out of I-5 before cross the border. You can park your car at the parking lot of duty-free store and walk cross the border, cross I-5 via the sky walk and return to the US after you crossed the highway.
You'll see a 2-story white building with the sign at the door. Just walk in and process your TN.
Make sure you bring all the necessary documents including your "ties" with your mother land - Canada. These guys can be very irratic during bad economy.
Good luck!

BTW, if you want to avoid long line-ups, don't go there in early morning.

Generally you have to make an appointment with the special cases officer at San Ysidro unless things have changed.

It is a real pain without the appointment. And be prepare to be in another world.

what do you mean by "ties" with your motherland? how to proof that? I have lived at U.S for 3 years. I don't have any relative in canada now. how to proof?...

Yes, you can.
You need to get to San Ysidro but you should cross by foot.
Why by foot?
I am in the same situation,and I am wondering why couldn't I just cross the border by car, have a coffee on the other side and then come back?

I mean, if I walk in and get refused, what do I do without a car?

Are you in a panic to get this done? ie: Without a job right now, or really need to get this done ASAP? If not, I believe you could do it by mail.

But if you need to go, then follow ertes instructions about driving and parking at the Duty Free shop.

Is your TN straight forward, or is it complex (Engineering Technician can be a little tricky from time to time, and Management Consultant is horrible these days.).

If it's straight forward then you should be okay. I believe that een if you get turned down, you still come back in a tourist capcity. You could call ahead and ask.

If you haven't been there before, it's a zoo! That's not meant to scare you but just to prepare you. It is a little frustrating becaue you will know more than they will when you get there.

Are you in SoCal?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply.
It is for software engineering so it should be straightforward.
Yes I'm in Socal and I'll need to get this done before next week because the TN is expiring.

Is this really my only option? (aside from flying to Canada this weekend).

TN for a Canadian crossing through Mexico

Thanks for the reply.
It is for software engineering so it should be straightforward.
Yes I'm in Socal and I'll need to get this done before next week because the TN is expiring.

Is this really my only option? (aside from flying to Canada this weekend).

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for your insights into this matter. I am embarking on a similar journey. I have a mechanical engineer position up in LA. I am planning on getting the TN through border crossing via Mexico.

MiketheMic (or anyone else, too), Could you send me a copy of the petition letter you brought with you?

Has anyone crossed at a smaller crossing other than San Ysidro? (I always thought agents at smaller crossings may be friendlier and take less time. Your insights welcome)

Thank you very much
Carl

Carl,

See my earlier instructions about calling ahead.

Not sure I understand your requirement for the letter. Are you already here in a TN capacity?

He doesn't need an "capacity" (You mean status) in US to get a TN at any border.

Holy shit nelsona.....every time I say something you ALWAYS come back with some effing comment about what I say....Now I remember why I stay off this effing board.

If you know so much about the God damn San Ysidro border then you go down and there with him!!!

That says more about you than me, kiddo. Posters want accurate information. Provide it, and there will be no issues.

btw, you aren't typically missed when you don't post.

(Urgent)
Can I Apply for TN Visa on weekends or after hours @ border(San Ysidro)??or I must apply during business hours?
Thanks

Check with them, which -- since you claim this is urgent -- I'm sure you have already done in the past 16 hours. Usually Mexican borders prefer an appointment for TN, so daytime would be more appropriate. TN is a business status. Conduct your affairs accordingly.

Hi, I'm a canadian with a TN visa working in Florida. I have another job offer and will like to apply for a 2nd TN. Do I need to go back to canadian border or any POE here in Florida can issue the new TN?
Thank you so much for your help

You need to leave US and re-enter. You cannot get one at a US airport without leaving.