485 ND - 10/29/2001

FP - 09/10/2002

RFE - Sometime in January 2003

RFE Replied - Febraury 2003

Case Transfered to Columbus Office - 03/11/03

Waited for an interview

I131 AP - RD - 07/24/2003

Currently takes more than 90 days.

Family Emergency need to leave by August end.

Any Suggestions would help..Is there anything that can be done to speed up the process in NSC?

If you have the receipt notice with you you can go to the local INS office and ask for an emergency parole.I have been told that they might issue one if you have an emergency.You might have to produce some valid documents as proof.I don't have any personal experience myself.

We are on same situation and are planning to go the INS office next week.

Local BCIS can issue AP for emergency situation. Prove the emergency situation with sufficient documentation.

Re: Emergency AP

Originally posted by hopeful2003
We need to attend a wedding of sibling. Is marriage invitation a sufficient documentation?.
One of my friend got emergeny AP at local BCIS using her brother's marriage invitation. So you are all set if you have the marriage invitation.

Ours is also NSC .. We just received our Receipt notice.Our lawyer mentioned to apply for parole first and then approach local INS offcie with receipt notice and valid docs for emergency situation.

Originally posted by hopeful2003
When did this happen?.....Is it more than a year..?

Why did you file for AP at NSC if your case was already transferred? Once the case is transferred to a local office you file your EAD/AP applications there.

I enquired in the local INS office before I applied and they said I have to apply in the service center and they do not process AP anymore.

They said my case was in the local office but still I need to apply in NSC only.

Personal experience !

Mine case was transferred from VSC to local office St. Paul MN. In Jan 2003. I have been in touch with senator Dayton office since Aug 2002, even then things are really sluggish without any end in sight.
I sent my second EAD renewal application in the first week of June,03 to local office. They sent back to me explaining I have to file in NSC.
I called 1-(800) 375-5283 for more information.
Here is the approximate discussion I had at that time with CSR.

Me: My I-485 case was transferred from VSC to local office St. Paul, MN now I need to file my EAD renewal, I am wondering where should I file.
CSR: where were you application filed originally?
ME: At Vermont service center.
CSR: then file your renewal with the same office.
ME : But my case is in a local office which is under jurisdiction of NSC.
CSR : Then file it with NSC.
ME : But NSC never had my case, it is with a local INS office.
CSR : Then file it in local office.
ME : That is what I did….. I filed there and they returned my application saying I need to file at NSC.
CSR: Please hold let me confirm it.
After couple of minutes she came back and said, you need to file it where your case is waiting for adjudication.
ME: you mean I was right sending it to local office.
CSR: yes
ME: Then why they returned it ?
CSR : Well ! Sent it again with a letter explaining the situation.

So, next day I did send it again with a letter.
This time it was not returned but there was no receipt whatsoever. I anxiously waited till middle of July 03. Mine existing EAD was getting expired in September; I decided to go into that office personally.
On Monday july 14th I was there in the line at 4:00 AM. There were almost 25 people in front of me, some of them were there since 2:00 AM, and around 7:30 it was mile long line.
I cant express my feelings in words about 5 hours wait in lines. That is a totally different subject.

Anyway when mine number was called I approached the window with my wife and daughter. This immigration officer was some Chinese or Korean descendant I am mentioning it because some time it is hard for us south Asian to understand there accents and for them to understand ours J
After entering my A# he kept saying your case (I-485) have been approved back in Feb 2003. I told him no, it was transferred to this office at that time. And I am sure it is still pending, all I am asking you what happened to my EAD renewal application which I mailed 5 weeks back. He said you mailed EAD renewal application in March 2003 and that was also approved. I said that does not make sense. Can you verify the address information for the case you are looking at? He started telling some address, which was not mine. I said sir you must be looking at some body’s else information. He got little nervous, and I was already a lot nervous J.
He said: How come you are having this A#
I said: NO who am I to have this A#, It is INS who issued me this one.
After a moment of silence, He said your application was received just last Friday.
I said: but I mailed it five weeks back, he said it not your fault, we don’t have enough people to enter this into system.

And I know for sure why they entered into their system on last Friday. Because I was complaining to senator office for not getting any receipt of my application.

Anyway !
He said Ok here is what I am going to do.
I am going to issue you an EAD today valid for one year. While saying this, he threw my current EAD into his rack.
I said: That is still valid for another two months I need that.
He said: if you need from the date onward when that expires then you have to come back on that date.
I said: forget about that issue me a new one today.
He said: what else you need
I said: last time I did not renewed my wife’s EAD, but she need it for driving license. Here is the application for that.
He said : ok , what else you need
I said : here are three application for advance parole for three of us.
Then he asked us to get 3 photos for each of us and a copy of I-94 for our advance parole.
We got pictures and copy in the same building, although it was expensive one.
After some time they called our names for pictures for EAD’s and then they told us our travel document will be mailed to us within next two weeks. And I got it exactly after one week.
One thing I could not understand that these advance paroles are valid for only 8 months, instead of a year.

Anyway ! After spending some $900 and a day off and driving 150 miles one way and waiting in the line, I got peace of mind…..at least for next 6-8 months.
Conclusion : “No pain no gain”

I wish every body could get it without any pain…..but it is a wish !

RD 6/25/01
ND 8/13/01
First FP 11/21/01
Transferred 01/13/03
Special registration 02/??/2003
Second FP 04/04/2003
Important : In this local office they too have notices posted for EAD (I-765) and (I-131) AP to be filed at Nebraska. But I guess these are only for people who have their cases at service center and before they were also able to get these documents at local office.
It is my guess !

Thanks for the long reply.......That helped me a lot.......So I have to go to the local INS office and explain my sitaution and talk to them about this.....

I'm planning to visit this thursday or so....

Will update then....

Thanks