Urgent! 485 Filed but need to travel out of US

ssa38

We filed for I-485 a few days ago and yet to receive receipt notice. Now due to urgent family situation my wife (who has an H4 until June 2007) needs to travel outside the country at a short notice. My lawyer told me that its safe to travel once receipt notice is received. However that may take 3-6 weeks.

Do you see any issues with this travel plan? Any impact to I-485? Please suggest alternatives if there are issues.

ssa38 said:
We filed for I-485 a few days ago and yet to receive receipt notice. Now due to urgent family situation my wife (who has an H4 until June 2007) needs to travel outside the country at a short notice. My lawyer told me that its safe to travel once receipt notice is received. However that may take 3-6 weeks.

Do you see any issues with this travel plan? Any impact to I-485? Please suggest alternatives if there are issues.

It depends upon your current visa status. Does she on H/L visa?

travel problem

tammy2 said:
No problem for travelling
Hi I have face the same situation but it's more tough, cause my husband holds F1 currently and we just submitted our 485 two weeks ago. We have to land Canada at 3/20/07 the latest then come back. It looks we massed up the whole thing, please give me some advice.
FYI, we had filed a F1-H4 transfer (I539 form) last week and hope we could get approval before the landing deadline.
Appreciate your input and other gurus help! :(

161 said:
FYI, we had filed a F1-H4 transfer (I539 form) last week and hope we could get approval before the landing deadline.

Even if he gets the Change of Status approved, he still needs a visa stamp to re-enter the US.

TheRealCanadian said:
Even if he gets the Change of Status approved, he still needs a visa stamp to re-enter the US.

No need to have a new visa stamp if he is sligible for the AVR.

thanks, but didn't get it

TheRealCanadian said:
Thanks very much for your quick response, but I didn't get it. What's the visa stamp? You mean when we come back to the states the VO stamps on the passport. :confused: