Update to you guys

devildog

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone. Following your advices, this is an updating of actions had been taken in my case:
1. I sucessfully applied for Fl. Driver's license. They are going to send my license by mail, and it is going to be valid for 2 years. I just brang my biometrics notification and passport.
2. On Feb 03 2006, I applied for EAD on my 180th day, after my application for asylum. I received on Feb 9 2006, the form I-797c telling that USCIS received my application and it is processing. Also I did an application for my 7 years old daughter, because by this way she is going to be allowed for an SSN issue.
Thanks and good luck to everybody.

glad things are moving along. good luck on getting a postive decision from the miami asylum office--and soon

How do you know??

Thanks for reply, in special your advice has been successfull. How do you know that my petiton + interview was in Miami??

Hey Thankful and DDog

How do I get a normal Driver's license.

I was granted asylum in Dec 04 but I don't have an I-94 stamped on my passport.
All I have is the letter they gave me in court.
Also, my SS is restricted.
What should I do first?

kalvar said:
Hey Thankful and DDog

How do I get a normal Driver's license.

I was granted asylum in Dec 04 but I don't have an I-94 stamped on my passport.
All I have is the letter they gave me in court.
Also, my SS is restricted.
What should I do first?

What is your state?

Iny any case, go to the social security office and get a new card.

devildog said:
Thanks for reply, in special your advice has been successfull. How do you know that my petiton + interview was in Miami??

Devildog,

It was an educated guess. You made it really easy by telling us that you are in Florida. There is only one Asylum Office in Florida---Miami. And since you were interviewed so soon after you submitted your application you were probably interviewed at the Miami Office. If you lived in the northern part of the state you would be interviewed at a different location but the wait for the interview would often be pretty long.

While on a trip to Florida (2003 i think) i lost my wallet with my Driver License , Credit Cards and some money .Thank god i did not have the green card in the wallet .
Anyways the moral of the story is: at the DMV , they had two lines
1) for US Citizens
2) For second class citizens , if u can call it that

p.s. i was driving so i needed a license

I hope they can get over this , i found it kinda racist :mad:

Thankful

I reside in Florida....

I suppose I need an unrestricted SS before I can ask for a normal DL.
What do you suggest?

How to get a license

No Kalver, You just need any document that proves taht you are doing the asylum process and your SSN. In my case I just showed them the notification of biometrics (stamped when I done). Then they ask me for SSN and passport. Your I-94 does'nt matter (actually mine is expired during this process).
I recommend to you make an internet appoinment to save time, they don't give you a date, it is up to you select the right one for you, then you will go straight to the front desk.
Smile in the picture and good luck!!

kalvar said:
Thankful

I reside in Florida....

I suppose I need an unrestricted SS before I can ask for a normal DL.
What do you suggest?
Hi, Kalvar, congratuation on your asylum granted, the first thing you should do is to make an appointment in your local immigration office to get a valid I-94, then you can apply an unrestricted SSN, don't apply for an EAD, the SSN is enough for you to work in USA. you can get more information on the following web page:http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/residency/IJBenefit.htm

Hey D.Dog and Freemanmo

Thanks for your reply guys.
Can I get the unrestricted SS without the I-94?
That would be perfect bcs the florida immigration office is ill run. It would take weeks for them to give me an appointment and get it done.

And even after I got the SS, will the DMV office bs me?Is this the law that asylees get normal Drivers licenses?

thanks guys

kalvar said:
Hey D.Dog and Freemanmo

Thanks for your reply guys.
Can I get the unrestricted SS without the I-94?
That would be perfect bcs the florida immigration office is ill run. It would take weeks for them to give me an appointment and get it done.

And even after I got the SS, will the DMV office bs me?Is this the law that asylees get normal Drivers licenses?

thanks guys

Yes you can get your unrestricted SS card with the grant order from the immigration judge. This is one of the first things you should do after winning your asylum case. Go the SSA website and find an office location near you. I suggest that you print out the SSA bulletin saying that asylees are eligible for unrestricted cards as some frontline clerks might be unfamiliar with this rule.

Getting your DL is really a separate issue. I suggested you get your ssc first because as an asylee you will get a six year license. You have to show them your ssc and I would not want them see the one with the valid for work with dhs permission only legend. For a DL you will need proof of asylum approval and a photo ID of some kind.

Good luck.

Good luck.