Update on RTD Visa rules for SE ASIA, Hong Kong and JAPAN

hatari999

Registered Users (C)
Hello All-

An update on what I have found so far trying to get visa's to visit various Asian countries. Just though this might be helpful to those planning to travel to this area of the world in the future.

Malaysia: Doesn't recognize RTD.

Hong Kong: Visa process takes about 4 weeks because all applications are sent to the immigration office in Hong Kong for approval. It might be quicker to send the applications directly to HK without going through the Chinese embassy.

Thailand: Visa process differs for RTD holders but overall should take about 10 days for processing but they do require purchased airline tickets.

Japan: For RTD holders wanting to visit Japan on a tourist visa will have their appplications sent to Japan for review if they are not visiting anybody in particular. Transit visa's are processed in about 3 days with a visa from the third country already in RTD and purchased tickets/hotel reservations.

India: An absolute hassle. They need to sent all RTD applications back to their head offices in India for clearance, taking up to 6 months sometimes to get approved. :mad:

Singapore: One of the few countries that requires NO visa for RTD holders. :D

Hope this helps...and if anybody has anything to add please do so...

Thanks.

Hi,
I am planning to travel to japan for a business trip and I can get invitation from the japaness campany.What do you think I should do except getting the invitation.

so helpful

Hatari this is so great - thank you very much. Two questions:

1) Do you know how long the Japanese tourist (non-transit) visa takes?

2) Does Thailand absolutely require purchase or is a reservation OK?

Thanks much!

EJ

EspressoJoy-

For Thailand, I was told that for RTD's it has to be a purchased ticket showing incoming and outgoing flights (I dont know whether that is a requirement ONLY in the LA consular office). As for Japan, she did tell me it would take a while if they were to send the paperwork to Japan...not sure on the exact amount of time.

But for both you and Gebre, I would suggest you call the Japan consulate in your area...the lady I spoke with at the San Francisco consulate was a thorough professional and very helpful.

Hope that helps.

Hello,
I travel to SE Asia about 5 times a year, so I may be able to help (I have been doing it for 6 years now). The first 5 years, I used a RTD, and recently I have been using my national passport (since I got the GC). All information I am about to give you is regarding the RTD since that is what you seems to be interested in.
Malaysia - One of the few countries I do not travel to.
Hong Kong - your information is correct, however please note that I did not require a vsa if I was transiting through the airport.
Thailand - I believe your info is correct
Japan - OK..Japan is a long story..you may want to sit down. If you are transiting in Japan and are not leaving the aiport, you DO NOT need a visa. In fact you never even go through immigration (only through security). If you are transiting outside the airport, you do not need a visa if you are staying for less than 72 hours. The embassy will never admit this to you, but this is the case. They have something called a shore pass, which your airline will provide you once you land in Japan. I can give you detailed instructions on how to go about this. It is a very quick process and is free. I have done this many times (through Tokyo Narita airport). The only way I found this out, was because I missed my connection once. If you are planning on staying in Japan more than 72 hours, you WILL need a visa. The embassy always told me that it takes about 3 months, but so far, they have gotten it for me in 1 DAY! Japanese efficiency! Immigration and customs in Japan are very polite and they treat you like a real human being.
India - I have no clue. If it is as hard as they say, forget about it. It makes no logical sense!
Singapore - no visa required. In fact after they stamp your passport, they give you a piece of candy. Best experience ever.
I also travel to the Philippines, Taiwan, Korea and Mainland China if anyone is interested in knowing about them.
Hope this help!

Can you please describe China experience from obtaining a visa on RTD to landing , to staying there and coming back

thanks,

Thanks

energizer-

Thanks for your info...seems like we have south east asia pretty much covered. One question though...I will be transiting through Seoul...will be at the airport for about 4 hours...any visa required?

Thanks and I really appreciate your addition to my initial report.

travelling to Southeast Asia on RTD

Hi,

I wanted to let you all know that Malaysia does recongize the RTD. I m currenty in transit in Seoul from Malaysia on my way back to US. I was in Thailand for 2 months and then came to Malaysia. The officer stamped my passport for 3 months valid visa and was very nice.

It was very easy for me to obtain visa's for Thailand and Malaysia. Thailand does require a confirm booking seat but when I went in person to apply for visa to New york, the officer only took the iternary.

Just to let everyone know that Thailand is the best place to be in South East Asia. The ppl are superb and it is affordable. Food is nice. Malaysia is very beatuiful too but expensive.

I was disappointed to hear that India is taking 6 months on RTD as I was planning to go in near future.

Any idea ab UK or Ireland visa?

Hope that helps.

You don't require visa to enter Irish Republic, here is the reply form irish consulate general in San Francisco:
As a person travelling on a US Department of Homeland Issued Refugee Travel Document issued under the UN Convention on 28 July 1951, you do not require a visa to enter Ireland, unless you intend to stay in Ireland longer than 90 days.Your travel document should be valid for at least six months after your intended date of departure from Ireland. If you wish our Visa Officer Diane Kierse-, can issue you an original letter stating the above which you can carry with you to Ireland. For this, you will need to send her a copy of your refugee travel document and provide her with your full mailing address.

Could anyone post their experience about obtaining a visa to visit Japan on a business trip?

- How long?
- Will they accept your RTD if your RTD is going to expire in less than six months?

Thanks
Lee_haircut5

australia

hello -
i am an asylee from Serbia :cool: 'have applied for an australian vias and with all required papers (many) submitted it has been taking them longer then 6 weeks - not done yet bye

i got an australian visa in 2 weeks..The best travelling experience I had to australia..they treat you like a u.s citizen...and actually know waht the document is....I also submitted my house mortgage papers and that did it..!

Just got my Chinese visa, it was way too easy than I thought. Submitted application on Thursda just like every US citizens, got my visa on Tuesday (requires 4 business days).