Unsigned photo on nat cert issue ?

Weston08

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

I read that yummyk, and others were not asked to sign their photos at their interviews, neither was I, so my photo on my certificate obviously is not signed. Going by yummyk's timeline he has aleady received his passport, so where you (or others) asked to sign the photo at the ceremony, or did you have no problems getting a passport with the photo unsigned ?

Also, does anybody know the best way to find out from USCIS if my current certificate is fine ? (I did sign the certificate as they directed) I would have asked at my ceremony, except my wife was not feeling well that day, so I was anxious to get her out of there and I totally forgot at the time :(

Thanks in advance

Weston08

Weston08, I was also not asked to sign the photos at my interview at Los Angeles DO, which is standard procedure there.

My oath ceremony is tomorrow (9/26), so I'll let you know what happens - if they make me sign both photos and naturalization certificate or just the certificate.

I did not sign any of my photos. I asked at my interview and the officer said that I would sign them at my Ceremony, which did not happen. I only signed my Nat Cert.
However, I received my passport yesterday so it obviously isn't a problem. They also returned my Naturalization Certificate at the same time.

Timeline:
DO: Phoenix
PD: 06.09.08
CC: 06.10.08
NOA: 06.12.08
FN: 06.20.08
FD: 07.03.08
IL: 07.31.08
ID: 08.19.08 - approved
OATH: 09.17.08 (99 days!)
PASSPORT APP: 09.17.08
PASSPORT REC: 09.24.08

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats !

I hope your day went well :)

Weston08, I was also not asked to sign the photos at my interview at Los Angeles DO, which is standard procedure there.

My oath ceremony is tomorrow (9/26), so I'll let you know what happens - if they make me sign both photos and naturalization certificate or just the certificate.

Thanks for the prompt reply azkiwi, you certainly had a very successful week :):):)

I did not sign any of my photos. I asked at my interview and the officer said that I would sign them at my Ceremony, which did not happen. I only signed my Nat Cert.
However, I received my passport yesterday so it obviously isn't a problem. They also returned my Naturalization Certificate at the same time.

Timeline:
DO: Phoenix
PD: 06.09.08
CC: 06.10.08
NOA: 06.12.08
FN: 06.20.08
FD: 07.03.08
IL: 07.31.08
ID: 08.19.08 - approved
OATH: 09.17.08 (99 days!)
PASSPORT APP: 09.17.08
PASSPORT REC: 09.24.08

Last edited by a moderator:
My passport arrived today :)

I'm still awaiting the return my certificate and passport card, but not having signed the photos is obviously not a problem, just have to decide which sig to use for my passport :)

09/26/08 : Passport Application
10/04/08 : Passport Received.

My passport arrived today :)

I'm still awaiting the return my certificate and passport card, but not having signed the photos is obviously not a problem, just have to decide which sig to use for my passport :)

09/26/08 : Passport Application
10/04/08 : Passport Received.
I had the same issue - which signature to use. Finally, I decided that the best thing to do would be to sign the natz certificate with my full name (including middle name) in cursive. When I got my passport, I signed it in cursive with my first name, middle initial and last name. That way, the signatures on the two documents effectively match one another, and my full legal name is signed on my natz certificate (I figured if I was to err, it was better to err on signing my full name, rather than just first and last names).

I was never asked to sign the photos. Not during the interview or at the ceremony. When my wife, at her interview, asked her IO about this, he replied that "we don't have applicants sign photos any more". Neither one of us signed the photos, although we both have "dry seals" over the photo and onto the certificate, such that the photos cannot be removed or tampered with.

When I applied for my passport, the guy at the post office really could not have cared less how I signed my application. I signed in cursive so that it matched the natz certificate.

Passport card, in case you are interested, does not need to be signed.

Hope this helps, guys. In general, my advice to people is to not worry too much about signatures and to just follow the directions they give you.

Thanks for the info,

I also decided to sign my passport the same a my Naturalization Certificate and my passort application, so all three sigs are the same, first, middle and last in cursive.