Unpleasant experience for iEAD application

habby

Registered Users (C)
Today I and my husband went to New York INS office for my iEAD because my second EAD will expire on Dec 23. 2004. However the officer refused to give me an iEAD because my EAD was approved on Dec.10, 2004 and he insisted that I would receive it on time. I told him since my EAD would expire soon, if anything wrong with mail, my employer would terminate my job and I couldn't come back here to get it on time because it took more than two weeks for info pass appointment. I showed him the letter from my company, and asked to talk with the supervisor. The guy asked me fill an inquiring paper sheet, and came inside the room to talk with supervisor.

The supervisor didn't go out but just deny our request. I asked again for an appointment before Dec.2004, so if I don't receive the EAD on time, I can go back. The guy asked us to wait and said that the supervisor would talk with us. One hour later, another guy came out of the room and showed us my info pass paper sheet with some words written in it. We couldn't recognize the handwriting; this guy also couldn't. He went back to ask and came back to told me that his supervisor wrote that if I didn't receive the EAD, I could come on Dec 23, 2004 again. I told them it was the holiday for my company and no one would be in the office and asked him to change the appointment date. That guy asked me to fill another same inquiring sheet and give it to the first guy, who always stayed outside to meet the applicant. We gave this paper sheet to the first guy. But He said his supervisor had already made a decision, we couldn't talk with him again and again. We explained that it was another guy to ask us to fill out a new inquiring form and let him to forward to the supervisor. But he didn't listen. He immediately called security guard to come and force us to leave. We explained the situation to the secure guard, but he said that he couldn't let us in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Talk to your attorney or consumer forum and see if you can file a complaint with USCIS. Maybe ACLU can help.

This is unbecoming and they have no business to do this.

If I were you, I will say to hell with Green card and take action.

They have to treat people with respect and not contempt.

I would love to hear the other side of this story.

They are not allowed to issue iEAD's if the real thing has been approved so you don't have duplicate papers for your brother vinny (who doesn't have papers) to get himself a job.

As for the back and forth with the info-pass sheet, I somehow can imagine how you drove these guys up the wall.

The case status website showed that INS mailed me the approved notice today. Will I receive the approved notice and EAD card same day? Can anyone tell me. Thanks.

habby said:
He went back to ask and came back to told me that his supervisor wrote that if I didn't receive the EAD, I could come on Dec 23, 2004 again. I told them it was the holiday for my company and no one would be in the office and asked him to change the appointment date.

Sorry to say this, but it looks like you got what you deserved. First, its a case of pure paranoia on your part, sine you already got approved, give it a few days, and you should get the approval. The officer was right in denying your request. There are so many if's and buts in life. I can tell my company, please pay me in advance for the next year, coz you may not have the ability to pay next year !

And secondly I did not understand your logic above ..."I told them it was the holiday for my company and no one would be in the office and asked him to change the appointment date.." How does a holiday at your place affect the working of USCIS ?? I would think a holiday would be a good day to visit USCIS, since you do not have to take off from work ??

Please realise they have other applications alos to handle and if everyone starts behaving the way you did, we all will have to wait another decade or so to get any application approved ...

My employer requires seeing EAD card for continuing on the employment, otherwise my job will be terminated. The company, which is a big company, doesn’t accept any EAD approve notice. They want me to show real card. Since Dec. 23 is the holiday for the company, no one will be there to process my document. So I must provide my employer the EAD card on Dec 22, 2004. My employer also wrote a letter stated that and I forwarded it to the INS officer.

Actually even I received EAD card before it expired, my salary between Dec.24, 2004 to the end of month already won't be paid on time. It takes quite long time for the company to process this kind of document necessary for payroll.

Delay of many application process in INS isn't because some applicants insist for their rights, it's because their system is like a mess and also because they made a lot of mistakes. The law guarantees to provide EAD within 90 days of application. Why should we give up our rights? Even we did so, it wouldn't let them speed up the process. On the contrary, they would be more reluctant to work faster.

habby said:
My employer requires seeing EAD card for continuing on the employment, otherwise my job will be terminated. The company, which is a big company, doesn’t accept any EAD approve notice. They want me to show real card. Since Dec. 23 is the holiday for the company, no one will be there to process my document. So I must provide my employer the EAD card on Dec 22, 2004. My employer also wrote a letter stated that and I forwarded it to the INS officer.

Actually even I received EAD card before it expired, my salary between Dec.24, 2004 to the end of month already won't be paid on time. It takes quite long time for the company to process this kind of document necessary for payroll.

Delay of many application process in INS isn't because some applicants insist for their rights, it's because their system is like a mess and also because they made a lot of mistakes. The law guarantees to provide EAD within 90 days of application. Why should we give up our rights? Even we did so, it wouldn't let them speed up the process. On the contrary, they would be more reluctant to work faster.

All this talk of my rights etc etc is fine, but I am saying, atleast give them some time to mail the approval and if you still do not recive it, then go for all the trouble you went through for iEAD. Whereas you are so adamant about the procedures in your company and how your company won't do thyis or do that. do you realize USCIS also has to follow some precedures. They cannot bend them to suit you. Why don't you ask your company to be more undertstanding, rather than trying to blame it all on USCIS. YOu want USCIS to work according to the whims of your company, but will not tolerate any thisng that USCIS "imposes"??? Be a little more understanding dude ! :(

Hadron ... (sorry for using these words) but you must be mentally deranged to even imagine that BCIS GODS will be telling you ther side of the story.

BCIS reps have power without accountability ... more often than not they act arrogantly.

> Hadron ... (sorry for using these words) but you must
> be mentally deranged to even imagine that BCIS GODS
> will be telling you ther side of the story.

No, I don't excuse these words.

#1 The people working at CIS are human, like anybody else. I doubted that for the longest time, but along the way I have met a good number of normal ones, some even friendly and kind.

#2 I have stood in line behind habby before. There are people out there who have an attitude and demanding demeanor that requires tremendous restraint on the side of the officers.

Yes, I would like to hear the officers end of this exchange.

First time iEAD help needed

I am on vacation for 3 months after completing my 6 years of H1. My 485/etc was filed on sept 22. I am yet to get EAD. Three was RFE issued asking for new style photos which we responded by fed-exing new photos 2 weeks ago.

Now, I have appt with INS on Dec 27, for getting temp/interium EAD.

What documents should I take apart from 485/ead receipts + h1b etc etc.

Should I take photos also ? Or its just a stmap on my passport.

Also I was told that once they issue RFE, they do not issue temp EAD ? Is it true ? Its already 90+ days in my case.

Hadron and others, can you share your experience ?

Thanks,
Pachya

> Now, I have appt with INS on Dec 27, for getting
> temp/interium EAD.

Good luck !

> What documents should I take apart from 485/ead receipts
> + h1b etc etc.

Take a $175 money order for good measure. They shouldn't double dip, but do you want to start arguing ?

> Should I take photos also ? Or its just a stmap on
> my passport.

Take photos. They have a polaroid PP camera to generate the iEAD. It is a little laminated card with maroon borders. Looks pretty cheap and has no safety features, I could make it on a color printer using a household quality laminator in my office.

> Also I was told that once they issue RFE, they do not
> issue temp EAD ? Is it true ? Its already 90+ days in my case.

It 'stops the 90 day clock' until the RFE is responded to, I believe that it doesn't reset it. So, if you are in urgent neet of an EAD bc you will loose you job and your current papers are expiring, you might be able to get an iEAD after 90+(time between RFE and RFE reply.)

hadron said:
> Now, I have appt with INS on Dec 27, for getting
> temp/interium EAD.

Good luck !

> What documents should I take apart from 485/ead receipts
> + h1b etc etc.

Take a $175 money order for good measure. They shouldn't double dip, but do you want to start arguing ?

> Should I take photos also ? Or its just a stmap on
> my passport.

Take photos. They have a polaroid PP camera to generate the iEAD. It is a little laminated card with maroon borders. Looks pretty cheap and has no safety features, I could make it on a color printer using a household quality laminator in my office.

> Also I was told that once they issue RFE, they do not
> issue temp EAD ? Is it true ? Its already 90+ days in my case.

It 'stops the 90 day clock' until the RFE is responded to, I believe that it doesn't reset it. So, if you are in urgent neet of an EAD bc you will loose you job and your current papers are expiring, you might be able to get an iEAD after 90+(time between RFE and RFE reply.)

Thanks Hadron. The &175 is paybale to USCIS right.

-Pachya

> The &175 is paybale to USCIS right

No need to fill it out yet. You already paid for your EAD, they should not charge you extra for the iEAD. But taking one along in case you have a bonehead behind the counter only costs you 90cents. If they are willing to give you an iEAD, you don't want it to die bc. you don't have the money order on you.

Also, take the I765 form and fill it out on your computer (just as the one you send in for the EAD itself) at least in duplicate.

And remember: smile, be polite, know where the limits of your counterparts patience are. It doesn't cost a penny and gets you the furthest with these guys. If they tell you to come back in two weeks: come back in two weeks, don't make a scene, don't get yourself kicked out. As you know, they work on their own time.

hadron said:
> The &175 is paybale to USCIS right

No need to fill it out yet. You already paid for your EAD, they should not charge you extra for the iEAD. But taking one along in case you have a bonehead behind the counter only costs you 90cents. If they are willing to give you an iEAD, you don't want it to die bc. you don't have the money order on you.

Also, take the I765 form and fill it out on your computer (just as the one you send in for the EAD itself) at least in duplicate.

And remember: smile, be polite, know where the limits of your counterparts patience are. It doesn't cost a penny and gets you the furthest with these guys. If they tell you to come back in two weeks: come back in two weeks, don't make a scene, don't get yourself kicked out. As you know, they work on their own time.

Thanks Hadron. I got my interim EAD today. No fee, no photos reqd. I had to fill our 765 form and usual docs to show. I shoowed them the RFE and said we did responded . Since RFE was for photos, he might have had no objections.

-Pachya