Unpaid Internship on H4 allowed?

Haripriya85

Hi All,

I am on H4. I am trying to pursue Registered Dietitian course in US. One of the pre-requisites is to perform a six to twelve month long CADE internship.

Questions:
a) Can I do an internship while being on H4 visa? (Assume it would be an unpaid internship)
b) Does anyone in this forum have first hand experience doing RD and can help in guiding me through a first cut in the process.

Thanks so much in advance!

Regards
Priya

Hi ,
I am in US on H4 visa. I am also enrolled in a state university for MS program and I would like to know if I can legally work in an unpaid internship program.
Kindly advice me on this issue.

It depends on the program. You need to speak with the DSO at the international student office.

An H-4 is allowed to attend school. Since this is NOT a student visa (F or M visa) there is no contact with a DSO or SEVIS.

IF such an unpaid internship is a normal requirement of the educational program and is not being created just for you in order to get around obtaining official "work authorization" and does not displace a paid U.S. worker THEN it is OK.

Although the H4 is not required to interface with the DSO, that is the individual at the university with the best chance of properly answering the question. In fact, at some universities, the DSO is in or oversees the International Student Office which would have contact with all international students - including those on H4 or other dependant visas permitting study.

A student would typically interface with his departmental advisor or an advising office whose task is simply to verify prerequisites and program requirements and are not likely to have a lot of experience with immigration questions. Also, some required internships may include a stipend so it is not as simple as it seems.

When in doubt, ask a university officer familiar with issues relating to international students well in advance of the registration date so that any problems can be addressed in time for the person to claim their slot in the program.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Guys,
Unpaid internships for individuals on an H-4 visa can be a gray area legally. Technically, H-4 visa holders are not authorized to work in the U.S. without an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). This includes unpaid internships,as they can be considered work. To avoid any potential legal issues, it is recommended to consult with an immigration attorney. Always ensure compliance with visa regulations to prevent jeopardizing your immigration status.