Unemployment Insurance Benefits

explorer

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
My 485 was approved in July 2004 and I was notified of layoffs in October. My official termination date was Dec 13, 2004. I am planning on applying for unemployment benefits and was wondering if there's any risk in doing so given that my PR status is only about 5 months.

Unemployment benefits are not welfare but I want to make sure that it won't affect any future GC renewal or perhaps citizenship issues.

Thanks in advance!

explorer,

Your subject does not seem to be in sync with the contents. Are you looking for medical insurance benefits after being laid off?

alren said:
explorer,

Your subject does not seem to be in sync with the contents. Are you looking for medical insurance benefits after being laid off?

Unemployment compensation and unemployment insurance
are the same thing. It is not welfare or public expense
but insrance payoff. So it is safe to apply. It is your money.

Thanks JoeF and AmericanWannabe,
You are right, it is insurance and it's my money to lose if I don't apply. Just wanted to see other opinions. Thanks!

Unemployment benefits if resigned voluntarily

Can I apply for and get the unemployment insurance payments even if I resign voluntarily? I plan on leaving the job and search for contracts, which I believe would take 30-45 days. Since I will be unemployed during that period, I am not sure if I can claim for the unemployment benefits.

Thanks.

jat said:
Can I apply for and get the unemployment insurance payments even if I resign voluntarily? I plan on leaving the job and search for contracts, which I believe would take 30-45 days. Since I will be unemployed during that period, I am not sure if I can claim for the unemployment benefits.

Thanks.

I don't think so. I guess, voluntarily leaving job don't qualify for unemployment benefits

Last edited by a moderator:
jat said:

Thanks.

You can not, at least in most states. Usually if one resign
voluntarily or is fired for "gross misconduct",he is not
eligible for UI benefits.

One exception to resignation is that if one
is forced to resign because the employer
has done something that make work theire
intolerable, the person who resign is
still eligible.

These rules have nothing to with the worker
being a citizen or a PR.

First of all it's not insurance, it is benefit.

Secondly, if you just lost the job, it is not easy to get the Unemployment benefits as it sounds. There's a time limit before you can apply for the UB after losing the job. After that you have to continously prove that you are looking for a job to get the benefits.

Lastly, it's not free, keep in mind it is taxable.

alren said:
After that you have to continously prove that you are looking for a job to get the benefits.

I heard in soem states, the state SESA will find a job for you.
If you don't take it, you lose your right to receive unemployment benefits

If you have LOST job(Not voluntarily left, as well misconduct), you are eligible for unemployment benefit. I don't think that there is any waiting period associated with it. I know many guys who got laid off last year and got UB until they started their new job and I beleive benefits started right away.
Also I don't beleive you have to prove anything,(Don't go on vacation or something like that). Just Chill out, keep searching job, attend interview.

Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have to show the GC in person to some SESA officials when applying for unemployment benefits or they just take your words for it?

AmericanWannabe said:
Do you have to show the GC in person to some SESA officials when applying for unemployment benefits or they just take your words for it?

I haven't taken UB yet, so not sure. But as UB are for everybody(who works for minimum duration with a employer) including non-GC holders, then why anybody has to show GC to get UB??

qwerty987666 said:
Also I don't beleive you have to prove anything,(Don't go on vacation or something like that). Just Chill out, keep searching job, attend interview.
So what does searching job, attend interview ... prove?
If you don't keep on doing that, then you will not get the benefits.

qwerty987666 said:
I haven't taken UB yet, so not sure. But as UB are for everybody(who works for minimum duration with a employer) including non-GC holders, then why anybody has to show GC to get UB??

There is a rule that says recipients of UB must be eligible to work.
I can not think up any hypothesis a person who is neitehr a citizen
nor a PR can meet this criteria. If a H1B worker is laid off, then
he lose his legal status so that he is not eligibel for UB.
If he right away find another job, then he does not need UB either.

So in order to claim UB, you must establish your work eligibility
and one way to do it is to use GC

AmericanWannabe said:
There is a rule that says recipients of UB must be eligible to work.
I can not think up any hypothesis a person who is neitehr a citizen
nor a PR can meet this criteria. If a H1B worker is laid off, then
he lose his legal status so that he is not eligibel for UB.
If he right away find another job, then he does not need UB either.

So in order to claim UB, you must establish your work eligibility
and one way to do it is to use GC

They can be EAD holders or some other type of immigrants like asylem or something like that.

alren said:
So what does searching job, attend interview ... prove?
If you don't keep on doing that, then you will not get the benefits.

My point was, you don't have to prove anything. If somebody loose job (laid off), they verify from your previous employer about reason of termination. Once those reasons fits in their bill, they start UB right away until you get NEW JOB. They don't ask to prove anything.

qwerty987666 said:
They can be EAD holders or some other type of immigrants like asylem or something like that.

But SESA need to see documents - EAD holder show EAD,
aslylem show something, and PR show the GC.

What is the allowance one gets with unemployment benefit and for long can one avail of this benefit?

Thanks.

qwerty987666 said:
My point was, you don't have to prove anything. If somebody loose job (laid off), they verify from your previous employer about reason of termination. Once those reasons fits in their bill, they start UB right away until you get NEW JOB. They don't ask to prove anything.
So what part of "After that you have to continously prove that you are looking for a job to get the benefits." of the underlined statement U don't understand?

alren said:
So what part of "After that you have to continously prove that you are looking for a job to get the benefits." of the underlined statement U don't understand?

Ok . Let me be very slow for you. First of all You don't have to prove anything. After loosing job(e.g layoffs), go to that office and file for UB benefits, UB officials inquire about your termination reason with ex-employer and if you fit bill, they will start UB benefits. This benefits will continue for atleast 6months or until you get new job(I guess). In this time, UB benefit holder should not do any act such as taking vacation for 6 months on Bahama like that to raise doubt. Only such stupid action on your behalf will make you to "prove UB" otherwise NOT.There is no need to do so called "prove" proactively.
If you still don't get it, loose your job and get UB benefits :D :D