um just some questions about the best way to start this process!!!!

sonofpookie

Ok here's my current situation. It's a little complicated so I'll try mt best to explain it. My wife and I have been married for 5 years. We never filled any immigration paperwork because we were not aware we had too, as she was not working here and had no intention of doing so. She crossed back over the border in may to have surgery in canada. She was denied reentry in august and was finger printed at the border. She was not given a reason for her denial and was told that she had to obtain a K-3 visa to reneter. We have obtaoned all of the forms and i'm in the process of filling them out. My question is Will she recieve a ban from rentry because she far exceeded the 180 day overstay? She came over legally on a visitor status in 2004, but we never changed it. Should I just go through with the paperwork and hope for the best or should i seek a immigration lawyer before hand for advice and can a lawyer even help with this situation? Please get back to me and thanks for the help!!!!

it says refused admission to us

form number 1-160a (rev.7-12-81)n

that's all that's on the document

Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there is no other information on the sheet. It had no stated reason. It was just a piece of paper to give to the canadian side to show that she was refused entry.

She seems to be in good shape then. Being Canadian, her overstay is not "official" since she was never issued an I-94 to start off with. For Canadians to accrue an overstay, a CBP/ICE official needs to document the overstay. It seems that is not the case here. She should be able to move to the US once she gets her immigrant visa.

there is no other information on the sheet. It had no stated reason. It was just a piece of paper to give to the canadian side to show that she was refused entry.