UK Transit visa

Guys,

I would say avoid going thru UK if you don't want any kind of tensions (like spending $67 or sending your original docs).

More over I don't understand one thing why people are so keen on going by Air India?

My wife and daughter went by Air India in March this year and had the worst experience (personal dealing of crew members and bad behaviour). She told me after coming back that she is not going again by Air India in her life.

Please confirm

how much is the fee for DATV? is it $47 or $67?

britainusa.com say $47 but here i'm seeing $67. please confirm.

Anybody applied for DATV for UK

Please share your experience. Whether your DATV was approved or not ? How long did it take for you to get back your passport and other originals.

I sent my Passport and other originals on 10/24. I am awaiting a response.

Thanks
Raj

My parents have 10 year multiple entry visitor visa for USA. They are currently in USA and intend to go back in Dec 2003. Do they need DATV.

I will greatly appreciate any help in this regard.

Thanks

No

If they have a valid visa (which I guess they have), then they don't need a transit visa. People without a valid visa stamp in their passport need transit visa.

Rajma,

Can u please tell me how long its going to take from the day of mailing to the the day that we receive our docs back from the consulate? (If we mail our application for DATV -UK)

LSB

DATV approved

Got the DATV stamped in the passport today (10/30) morning. So, it took 4 business days in all.

My Situation is Different...Please Help

Hi,

H1B VISA stamped in my passport has expired but I have the extension papers valid until May'05.

My wife has H1B stamped in her passport has expired also but she has a valid H4 papers valid until May'05.

Do we require a Airside Transit Visa? We have British Airways tickets to India.

Can anybody give the lists what we need to send for VISA?

Thanks in advance

Unbelievable:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
check this site

www.britainusa.com

This site tells you whether or not you need a transit visa. You can apply online through the Fasttrack system and then send the required documents through mail.

I sent in the following documents:

1) Printed DATV application
2) 1 passport size photo
3) AP/H-1 extension document (original)
4) Passport (Original)
5) Itinerary (did not send the tickets)

It takes about 4-5 business days for visa to be approved.

Hope this helps
Raj

No.

See the first exclusion:

Exemptions: You are exempt from this requirement if:

You hold a valid US or Canadian visa who also hold a ticket to or from the US or Canada routed via the UK. This will include a period of 48 hours after the expiry of the US or Canadian visa for those leaving the US or Canada to allow for those who choose to leave at the very end of the validity of their visa

So, if you have a valid visa stamp in your passport, you don't need a DATV. Otherwise, you need one.

There are other exlusions as well, but this impacts most of Indians who do not have a GC.

So, even I have a valid original H1B extension paper with me and a expired visa on my passport I need a Airside Transit Visa.

Is'nt strange?

Unbelievable:eek:

Originally posted by pingpong02
Few questions :

Why are people going thru all this hassle(sending originals & paying money) in getting UK transit Visa ? As someone said paris or amasterdam do not require this ? Is this because travel thru UK is much reliable/cheaper ?

Anyway I am in the westcoast and always travelled Singapore or Cathay Pacific. My spouse is planning to Travel to India in Dec-03/Jan-04 ?

Does anyone know of any new rules travelling via Hong Kong/Malaysia/Taiwan/Soel/Singapore ?

Do any of these require transit visa now ? If yes , I would to avoid those.

Also there is talk of SARS coming back again. I also heard that Airlines are already slashing prices due to this .

Please advise travel thru which cities is better to avoid Transit Visas and SARS.

Would surely Prefer to travel by Singapore Airlines/Cathay Pacific as they have very good service and Indian Food.

Thanks

Does anyone know that we need the same thing if we go through paris?
I am travelling thru paris from Newark, NJ. AirIndia, does need us to even get out of the airplane. I am on Advance Parole.
I am travelling this weekend. . . .
Please help . . .

GCGCGC

Did you find out whether u need a visa for Paris?
I am also in the same boat. I called Air India they told me that I dont need a visa. But I also called the consulate and they said I need one. So...... I am confused too. Most of the people say that we don't need one paris.

Let me know ur findings!

LSB

Originally posted by Unbelievable
So, even I have a valid original H1B extension paper with me and a expired visa on my passport I need a Airside Transit Visa.

Is'nt strange?

Unbelievable:eek:
Since your H1 stamping is expired even though you have valid H1 papers you cannot use H1 to enter the US unless you get revalidation. Hence you should be using AP to enter US. That makes you the person who needs a transit visa in any case. I do not see any strange thing in this one. Am I missing some thing?

Guys,

I got UK DATV last Friday by walk-in. Went to NY consulate. Got it same day. Avoiding UK reduces your options as many airlines fly through London, it makes your search for other routes more difficult. Ofcourse, nobody is happy with UK for asking to get visa just to travel through all of a sudden.

One bright side to this, DATV ($47, by mail $63) is multiple entry and valid for 5 years. So it will cover till you get your GC.

You have to go through this pain (getting DATV) once. Your choice.