UK Transit visa

exemptions

Exemptions: You are exempt from this requirement if:

You hold a valid US or Canadian visa who also hold a ticket to or from the US or Canada routed via the UK. This will include a period of 48 hours after the expiry of the US or Canadian visa for those leaving the US or Canada to allow for those who choose to leave at the very end of the validity of their visa

You hold a USA Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) issued on or after 21 April 1998.

You hold a Canadian Permanent Resident Card issued on or after 28 June 2002

You hold a valid Category D visa (normally printed on a red/pink sticker, green stickers do not qualify) issued by EU/EEA member states, which are valid for more than 3 months.

You hold a valid EU residence permit

You hold a diplomatic or service passport issued by the Peoples Republic of China

You hold a diplomatic or official passport issued by the Government of India
If you qualify from one of the above exemptions you are not required to hold a Direct Airside Transit visa and may still benefit from the Transit without Visa concession.

Originally posted by dhai
harapattawaiter,
I am not sure even any visa/immigration comes in picture, till you reach your destination.
When you fly out of US, only security checking is done. You don't come across immigration here.
In transit airport, if you are not going out, you don't face immigration.
But when you reach India you go through immigration.

Not happened to my wife the way described above. She left to India on 20th Oct from Boston. We are GC holders. In the ticket counter they took my wife's GC and passed the A# to someone in their office. Then after 2 minutes that person came up with a sheet saying that our GC is a valid one and no need to get the transit visa. The lady at the counter told me they contacted the immigration department to clear my wife's GC. Happened the same way for a family in front of us. They didn't tell me what will happen if the person forgot to take the transit visa-means whether the trip will be denied or they will issue the visa on the spot.

Originally posted by san_1
Raj,

I think you might have misunderstood the issue. You do not need the transit visa if you have GC or even Valid H visa.

Issue is if your visa is expired and you are travelling on AP via London.
Here is an informative article which appeared recently on Times of India regarding this issue..

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...how?msid=234881

Thanks for the pointer.

I thought 'dhai' was mentioning about the transit visa :). My apologies...

Raj

LSB,
there have been a few threads just in last 2 days where this issue has been discussed in detail. Check the threads...

Contacted Consulate in Chennai

My wife was able to talk to "Entry Clearance Office" guys in UK consulate Chennai, India. They re-affirmed that AP holders does not require transit visa to t transit through London. But I got contradicting information from the consulate here in USA. So my wife requested an email confirmation from consulate guys. Initially she wasre fused. They were not willing to give any documentation that supports their stand. But my wife talked her through by explaining about the confusion and conflicting information. At the end of the day my wife received an email as as response to her email confirming that she does not need a transit Visa. I asked her to take printouts and keep them handy in London Airport. I hope she would not face any trouble in London.

It seems different consulates have different stand on this issue. Well until we get our 485 approval we will have to face this kind of situations.

Thanks guys for your suggestions and discuission.

Hi VIDCHIN,

Did you get a chance to reconfirm the same with the consulate?
I am also sailing in the same boat. I am going to INDIA in NOV on AP. So please let me know your findings. I tried several times to call the consulate but no use. No one is answereing the phones.

Thx,
LSB

Originally posted by z/OS V1.4
LSB:

It appears that AP is not considered as VISA. So you might need
transit visa.

You have been in other thread discussion, why don't you tell him for sure (without using "might") that he needs a VISA?

OP: YOU NEED A TRAVEL VISA, DON'T VASTE YOUR TIME IN SEARCHING any other thread. Go to UK Embassy website apply it online.

I am also facing same problem. I had Candain PR and USA(EAD ,AP). I dont know do i need the trasnit visa or not.

But i am thinking of taking this , more over it is valid for 5 year i guess. if it is valid for 5 years paying 60$ is not a big amount.

Please tell me guys,your suggestions on this

My 2 cents

I had eben to Dulles airport yesterday to see my family off to india Via London, THIS IS WHAT HAPPNED

1. Asked if my wife had Transit Visa
My Ans :No

2. What kind of US visa u have??
Ans: Gren card(stamping)

3. Let us verify with UK immigration(call to London)
Ans :Thye came back with a form asking to enter a permanent addres in USA and sign and send no Transit Visa is Requied for GC card holdrs or Stamped pasports

Bottmline :All visas except GC (STAMPED OR CARDS ) will need Transot VISA thru UK

Hope it helps

SVSS

sam012007:

Though it must that we need transit visa, still after reading different answers even from consulate guys, one hesitate to say "must". Otherwise, I know the diff between "must" and "might".

Other than paying an additional $67 for transit visa, it's not easy thing to send all originals in mail and wait for five days for the outcome. It leave us very concerned till we get our originals back.

Every one,

Do I Need to send all originals docs? Or Can I send Photo copies also. I mean the tickets. I know , we have to send passport Orig and AP orig.

Please clarify.
LSB

vidchin

If you don't mind can you post the response you got from them?
Also, How did you post a question in that website you mentioned above? I tried but it is only giving the general info that can be found in the forum and other sites.

Please clarify.
LSB

Few questions :

Why are people going thru all this hassle(sending originals & paying money) in getting UK transit Visa ? As someone said paris or amasterdam do not require this ? Is this because travel thru UK is much reliable/cheaper ?

Anyway I am in the westcoast and always travelled Singapore or Cathay Pacific. My spouse is planning to Travel to India in Dec-03/Jan-04 ?

Does anyone know of any new rules travelling via Hong Kong/Malaysia/Taiwan/Soel/Singapore ?

Do any of these require transit visa now ? If yes , I would to avoid those.

Also there is talk of SARS coming back again. I also heard that Airlines are already slashing prices due to this .

Please advise travel thru which cities is better to avoid Transit Visas and SARS.

Would surely Prefer to travel by Singapore Airlines/Cathay Pacific as they have very good service and Indian Food.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
LSB

Scroll down to the bottom of the page. You will see a form. Fill it up and submit. If you don't get a response by tomorrow I will post the response to you in private. I don't want to post it here. I am pretty confident that you will get a response through that form. Because I got it. Good luck.

Fasttrack system:

I do not understand how it's useful anyway. It looks like all we can do is enter details and finally make a payment through credit card. It will give a reference number to retrieve the saved application. When I tried to retrieve it, I am getting the below error message:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e14'

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Line 1: Incorrect syntax near ','.

/ukvisas/indexflowarray2.asp, line 252
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyway after entering information, still we have to mail the application or go by person. We have to lose $67 whatever the outcome of visa. Then what's the point of Fasttrack.

It says we can follow up the status of our application. But how? Even if it shows the visa has denied, still we have to wait for the mail to resubmit the application again and pay $67 again.

Did I miss anything?

Don't you guys think when we take a transit visa by default we are allowed to walk out of the airport and make a break journey.