UK Tourist Visa -- Leave on 180th Day or 179th Day?

mj43

Hi All,

I'm a U.S. citizen currently in the UK on a 6 month tourist visa. I realize that 6 months actually means 180 days, which is a bit shorter than a full 6 months in my case.

I arrived in the UK on Saturday, March 3rd 2012. When I count 180 days exactly, the 180th day is Wednesday, August 29th.

My question is -- Am I safe to leave on the actual 180th day, or do I need to be out by then? So do I need to leave on Tuesday, August 28th, my 179th day?

I know these guys can take a really hard look and can be tough, so I just want to be sure and cautious.

Thanks!

Matthew

You can leave on the 180th day. The only catch is that if you miss your flight, or if it is delayed or canceled, then you will overstay. This is why people ought to plan to leave a couple of days before the expiration of their visa. There will be no passport control upon exit, so you won't face a problem leaving.

Re-read your entry stamp. It most likely reads "Leave to enter for 6 months...".

I interpret that as permission to stay in the UK until Septmber 3rd. You should be good leaving on August the 29th.

Hi All,

I'm a U.S. citizen currently in the UK on a 6 month tourist visa. I realize that 6 months actually means 180 days, which is a bit shorter than a full 6 months in my case.

I arrived in the UK on Saturday, March 3rd 2012. When I count 180 days exactly, the 180th day is Wednesday, August 29th.