U.S. MS degree working with H1-B... help

matkok78

Registered Users (C)
Hello, I am new here and I am just starting to think about my green card. I have a u.s. master degree in electrical engineering and I work for a big company since one year (3 months under OPT and 9 with H1B). I wrote several conference papers and co-authored a best paper in a famous international conference. My company will sponsor me for GC not before than 2 years so I was thinking to start alone. How much it will cost and what do you suggest for my case?
Thank you guys, I am so happy I am not alone in this valley of tears called "immigration in U.S.A". :rolleyes:

You are unlikely to qualify for NIW but you can try. EB1 is almost certainly not going to work out for you. Get a job offer from a different company and give your company a simple choice: GC now, or I leave. Worked for me, unfortunately a couple days too late (already had the NIW approved at that time).

So you think my chances to get the green card "all by myself" are low. What about the sentence: "member of the profession holding an advanced degree" (By the way I have another master degree from my own country) and the EB2 option? I do not plan to leave my company since right now my job is at the top of my field. The costs?
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Eb2 - niw

You are unlikely to qualify for NIW but you can try. EB1 is almost certainly not going to work out for you. Get a job offer from a different company and give your company a simple choice: GC now, or I leave. Worked for me, unfortunately a couple days too late (already had the NIW approved at that time).

Hi,

I have a MS in Software Engineering from BITS Pilani(India).
I have worked on the following
1. Pacemaker Programmer as an Architect.
2. ID systems for Washington Department of Licensing, Connecticut Department of Social Security
3. Worked in a Utility as an Architect which was working on Automated Metering Systems and Automatic Connect/Disconnect of the Electricity Connection, Automatic Load Reduction

Please let me know what chance I have for an NIW. What is the documentation that I would need?

Thanks and Regards,
Sylvester

To the OP,

NSC-Agony is correct in that having an advanced degree and working in an area of intrinsic merit to national interest alone do not satisfy all of the NIW criteria. I would advise you to read up on the NYDoT case, which has now become a benchmark for NIW evaluations/decisions these days.

However, no harm trying, if you have the resources. I would say go for it. Anyways, in two years your employer will be filing for you. So, there is nothing to lose here.

Good luck.