U.S. Citizen finally!!!

xenogear

Registered Users (C)
Took the Oath this morning @ 11 am in Pomona,CA. There were 3,500 people in the building. The process was suprisingly quick. it was over by 12:30pm. Judge recited the oath,watched 2 videos then collected the certificate :)

Congratulations! :) It is always good to see another cadet graduate from the Citizenship Academy ;) The processing time of your application is not too bad, considering that you sent your application during peak time.

I did a name change...whats the process for changing SSS and drivers lic. and etc. Do i just bring the certificate?

what I did was I took my Natz Certificate and had my DL changed ( FN Foreign National removed ), went to my local Social Security with my Natz Certificate and changed my status with them. After all that I went to my local Post Office and sent it away with my passport application. I received both back in the mail today. Alternatively you could first apply for your passport and then once you receive it update your DL and SSN and such. Don't forget to register to vote ( easily done online ) and maybe contact your main financial institution and inform them that you are a USC now ( certain bennies and rates only apply to USC )Hope this helps and congrats again!

what I did was I took my Natz Certificate and had my DL changed ( FN Foreign National removed ), went to my local Social Security with my Natz Certificate and changed my status with them. After all that I went to my local Post Office and sent it away with my passport application. I received both back in the mail today. Alternatively you could first apply for your passport and then once you receive it update your DL and SSN and such. Don't forget to register to vote ( easily done online ) and maybe contact your main financial institution and inform them that you are a USC now ( certain bennies and rates only apply to USC )Hope this helps and congrats again!

What benefits apply if i may ask...

I am not sure exactly myself, but I do know that our personal financial institution did have me listed as a LPR with my A Number in their files. So I did update my status with them too. I think there are certain tax advantages and easier mortgage loans when you become a USC. However I am not an expert in that field. I am sure if you google it you could find more specific info.

cool thanks. i might do the same thing :)

do you need to show orginal NATZ certificate or photo copy is okay for driving license and Social Security ?

thanks.

do you need to show orginal NATZ certificate or photo copy is okay for driving license and Social Security ?

thanks.

The original is required I believe and that is what I showed them before sending it off for my passport application. They took the original and made a copy of it at the SSN for their records I believe.

I agree that more surveillance is bad... however, you can 'disable' the chip by 'smashing' it by, say, placing it under the leg of a chair and sitting down. I don't know where the chip is in the passport, though, so you'll have to figure that out. Make sure to keep things neat and clean.

By the way how do you like the new design? I've seen a couple of pages, and I think it's hideous. Of course, who cares, right? It's an AMERICAN PASSPORT! CONGRATULATIONS :)

Congratulations, xenogear!!

cafeconleche! I like the design and the look of the passport. It's clean, has nice graphics and words - nice to carry it.

I was also very unhappy with the RFID chip. However, we have to grant that the government, under a lot of pressure, ended up adding some encryption and some physical shielding to the passport. Originally they opposed both. How well these security and privacy measures work is anybody's guess. It seems that if the passport is closed it is next to impossible to get anything out of the RFID chip.