Hi guys,

I finally received my conditional green card in the mail. I checked it over,
and all the info is correct, except for one thing -- the country of birth is
listed "Unknown"!

Has this happened to anybody before, and did you have trouble using
the card for travel/work? I'd just as soon not replace it, since it expires
in 2 years, and it would take months to receive a new one (I'm not
really sure how long, as I couldn't find the processing time for I-90
for the National Benefits Center which issued the card).

Would appreciate any help!

What is your immigration category? CR-1?
What is your country of birth?
How was it stated in your birth certificate?
How was it stated in your immigrant petition?
How was it stated in your immigrant visa application/AOS application?

I have heard of this happening to a few applicants who were born in countries that have undergone a name change. What is your country of birth? You can file an I-90 if you want it corrected.

-- the country of birth is
listed "Unknown"!

Has this happened to anybody before, and did you have trouble using
the card for travel/work?

I think the major situation when this could happen is when this is an imeediate relative, and there is no quota based on country of birth. If that is the case, you will not have any problems thereafter.

Thanks for your responses. My country of birth is Serbia, which has undergone two name changes in the last 5 years, so it is my suspicion that it is the reason this has happened.

I got the GC through marriage to a US citizen, so there is no quota in this case. I also have the I-551 stamp in my passport. All my application materials
stated "Serbia", as this is the current name of my country of birth.

Do you think I should just leave it alone then? Any ideas how long I-90 would take at the NBC?

I think you should get this corrected. Since your paperwork stated Serbia and USCIS missed it, you will not be charged for getting it corrected. Just bear in mind, since the country name change is very recent, there may not be a country code in the USCIS system and thus the unknown entry. There is only one way of finding it out :)

Do you think I should just leave it alone then? Any ideas how long I-90 would take at the NBC?

Thanks, Triple Citizen :). This is precisely why I'm not sure it's worth sending it back -- I don't think they have a country code for Serbia yet. Interestingly, the EAD card I got while I was waiting for the green card said "Serbia and Montenegro", which is one of the former names. During the biometrics appointment, they only had "Yugoslavia" on the list (and that it is what my passport says too, although the birth certificate says Serbia). I would probably send it back if I knew there would be a different outcome; the way things are, I'm not sure.

Whether you correct it or not - should be not important to you, it is fine either way.
Is is logical to have it corrected, on the one hand. On the other one, it makes some sense for USCIS as well - the Serbia numbers for DV lottery formula depends on the number of immigrants from Serbia for the last 5 years. Your visa number needs to be added to the counter.

Whether you correct it or not - should be not important to you, it is fine either way.
Is is logical to have it corrected, on the one hand. On the other one, it makes some sense for USCIS as well - the Serbia numbers for DV lottery formula depends on the number of immigrants from Serbia for the last 5 years. Your visa number needs to be added to the counter.
Correcting the issue might seem trivial, but it has broader implications. Fixing it is logical, as it ensures accuracy. However, it also matters to USCIS since Serbia’s DV lottery numbers depend on immigrant counts from the last five years. Your visa number needs to be correctly added to that tally.