Try to pursue a job in Asia while I have GC??

shsieh01

Registered Users (C)
To All Guru in this forum

I also have this situation bothering me. I would like to work in Asia while I got my
GC in July 2004, but lots of stuff bothering me..

1. How many times can we apply for the reentry permit? can we apply for it once a year? What's reentry permit's number, for ins. I-xxx???
2. if I plan to go back to Asia in April, when should I apply the permit?
3. How can I apply for the citizen or no way to apply since I never leave in U.S. for consecutive 2.5 years..

thanks all Guru

re-entry permit's number is I-131. It is same as the application for Advance Parole. The only thing is u mention that u r applying for re-entry permit instead of advance parole and it has to be filed only at Nebraska Service Center no matter whereever live in USA.
U have to be present in USA when u file for it and then u can leave USA after getting the receipt. Once approved which may take abt an 8 months to am year u may indicate where to receive it. whether u want to receive it at the consulate near to ur home outside USA or u want it to be mailed to someone u know in USA and they can mail it over to ur home country.

The permission is given for 2 years. I think u can apply for it only once.

Explorer19 said:
re-entry permit's number is I-131. It is same as the application for Advance Parole. The only thing is u mention that u r applying for re-entry permit instead of advance parole and it has to be filed only at Nebraska Service Center no matter whereever live in USA.
U have to be present in USA when u file for it and then u can leave USA after getting the receipt. Once approved which may take abt an 8 months to am year u may indicate where to receive it. whether u want to receive it at the consulate near to ur home outside USA or u want it to be mailed to someone u know in USA and they can mail it over to ur home country.

The permission is given for 2 years. I think u can apply for it only once.
-----one can apply re-entry permit 3 times, first time it will be for 2 years, second time it will be for 2 years, third time it will be for 1 year. again it depends if you USE reentry permit for Entry to US or not.

How can I apply for the citizen or no way to apply since I never leave in U.S. for consecutive 2.5 years..
----- if you dont live in US consecutive 2.5 years, you cant apply Citizenship again by staying in US/maintaning residence, having US DL, paying US taxes. you can be eligible for citizenship, you can read the citizenship guidelines from USCIS site

ginnu said:
if you dont live in US consecutive 2.5 years, you cant apply Citizenship
I don't think one has to reside consecutively for 2.5 years. It should be 30 months out of the last 60 months. Here are the condensed requirements:

1. Have to reside continuously as a lawful permanent resident in the U.S. for at least 5 years prior to filing with no single absence from the United States of more than one year.

2. Has been physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the previous five years (absences of more than six months but less than one year shall disrupt the applicant's continuity of residence unless the applicant can establish that he or she did not abandon his or her residence during such period).

3. Has resided within a state or district for at least three months.

More info at http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/general.htm

Last edited by a moderator: