Trips Abroad the reality? (Don't u think)..?

Maybe this is for another thread, however some of the attorneys I have spoken too have not made a conclusion if the ''look back rule'' 5 yr requirment (with 2.5 yrs in the US)...

1. begins the date of gaining the card
2. is from the n400 application date backwards
3. or is from the date of the interview backwards

By travelling heavily in the later years of your application - the early years of residence will be eaten away if the IO takes the 3. approach. (If you get what I mean?)
Both scenarios 2 and 3 will apply. They will consider all trips of 5 years before the time of application submission. Any additional trips you have since the submission will be added onto the application at the time of interview. This means you have to have 2.5 years of physical residence at the time of applications as well as at the time of interview and oath. As some have phrased it, the requirement is a rolling window.

Well that is true. I personally have come to the conclusion that n400 interviews are generally not that much of an issue. As long as you have not spent 6 months out or longer & as long as the intent is to be a PR - honesty is the best policy and will win the day, if not - through the honest approach you get the chance to fight another day.

Maybe this is for another thread, however some of the attorneys I have spoken too have not made a conclusion if the ''look back rule'' 5 yr requirment (with 2.5 yrs in the US)...

1. begins the date of gaining the card
2. is from the n400 application date backwards
3. or is from the date of the interview backwards

By travelling heavily in the later years of your application - the early years of residence will be eaten away if the IO takes the 3. approach. (If you get what I mean?)

"Look back rule" for the Residency and Physical Presence requirements (which by the way are distinct from each other) are 'Rolling Windows" that defines your eligibility when you apply for N-400, during the Application, during the Interview and even to the day you take Oath. So in your options above
Not for 1
Definitely Yes for 2 and 3

I see equate beat me to it.. well said

"Look back rule" for the Residency and Physical Presence requirements (which by the way are distinct from each other) are 'Rolling Windows" that defines your eligibility when you apply for N-400, during the Application, during the Interview and even to the day you take Oath. So in your options above
Not for 1
Definitely Yes for 2 and 3

I see equate beat me to it.. well said

Thanks Guys. Nice definative replies.

Now you would have thought I would have got the same definative responses form people to the question: does the IO at airport POE's know how long you have been out for? (if they did).

QED: they don't :)

There are no definite answers to such a question. It's not as if the entry officers would let you see what they have on their screens. The good example is the visa waiver program. Some people who previously overstayed on their visa waiver program get denied the entry on their next entry attempt, while some others with the same previous overstays pass through without hassle. This indicates they do have departure records, but it also indicates either the data is not thorough or not checked carefully.

Last edited by a moderator: