trips abroad documentation

baikal3

Registered Users (C)
I have a question for those who have already gone through naturalization interviews.

N-400 asks to list the dates of all trips abroad since becoming an LPR. I did that.

I would like to know if during the interview the IO asks for some sort of documentation regarding the dates of these trips. Do they just look at passport stamps?

My problem is that for several of my short trips to Canada I did not get passport stamps. Also, there was one trip to Europe where I used the reentry permit. Both the Spanish visa and the various passport stamps (both for arrival to Spain and reentry to the U.S.) were put in that reentry permit.
The problem is that I no longer have that reentry permit: when I was applying for the next reentry permit, I returned the previous one to INS.

I don't know how big a deal this might be. For most of these trips I think I can still find copies of plane tickets, etc....

Any info/ opinions would be appreciated!

baikal3 said:
I have a question for those who have already gone through naturalization interviews.

N-400 asks to list the dates of all trips abroad since becoming an LPR. I did that.

I would like to know if during the interview the IO asks for some sort of documentation regarding the dates of these trips. Do they just look at passport stamps?

My problem is that for several of my short trips to Canada I did not get passport stamps. Also, there was one trip to Europe where I used the reentry permit. Both the Spanish visa and the various passport stamps (both for arrival to Spain and reentry to the U.S.) were put in that reentry permit.
The problem is that I no longer have that reentry permit: when I was applying for the next reentry permit, I returned the previous one to INS.

I don't know how big a deal this might be. For most of these trips I think I can still find copies of plane tickets, etc....

Any info/ opinions would be appreciated!

I was asked by the IO if I went outside US in the past 5 years. My application stated that I went on 2 trips to Europe and Costa Rica... So he just wanted to confirm, but didn't ask for any supporting documentation regardign my trips.

(Dallas DO)

Most of my trips were to Canada. I had very little documentation (and I didn't bring any of it to the interview). However, I was *very* far from the continuous residence and physical presence limits.

At least one of our trip desciptions was along the lines of "less than a week trip to Toronto" with a date of "Summer 2002" (or something like that).

It never came up (with me or my wife).

I would expect that if you are close to the limits, this becomes a bigger issue. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Good luck

Baikal3,
I had 10 trips, totalling 78 days stated on my N-400. All my adjudicating officer asked was if I made any trips since I filed my N-400. 8 of those trips were to Canada, 7 by land. I had no proof of entry or exit for those trips. Canada has always taken my verbal declaration as proof of citizenship. I would have stated exactly the same had my officer asked me for proof. Unless you are really close to the maximum number of days allowed outside the US, I seriously doubt you will be asked for any proof.
Good luck!!!

Another similar story:-

My wife and I had numerous trips abroad, mostly without passport stamping upon reentry to the US since we were often traveling by private boat. Some of the trips were long (5 months) and other trips were much older and shorter, but of unknown duration or destination... somewhere in Europe by plane, but again no stamps since we held EU passports.

Anyway, the IO quickly scanned my passport, didn't see much of interest, and never asked for any further substantiating evidence. So I conclude you should do your best to list what trips you know, and most likely you won't encounter any problems at interview because I doubt USCIS will have any contradictory information.

I had 10+ trips to Europe and Asia -- most lasting for 5-10 days. The IO did not ask anything about them. He asked for the passport but didn't even open it.