Trip outside US for six months

the representative i spoke to gave me the impression that it takes something like 1 to 2 months. they said that the oldest in their archives are 1982 or so , but the backlogs are the issue

What I never understood is that since they have all the arrivals/departures in the system, why they bother having us list it out. It would be simple if they made the determination from their system and asked to to explain specific travel periods that they have an issue with rather than ask us to list out all the dates.

What are they trying to check with that kind of request. I think this form needs to be brought up to the mordern age.

it should be at their end as its recorded every time u leave the country, espcially as the officers at the POE dont even bother to stamp the passport, they shouldnt be asking us when they are people who can declare the information with absalute authority..... but from what i understood is that, if its land border crossing or on a vessel, they might not have it in their system at all, fortunately they said that they would have all the records if the person has flown in, 80% of us are those who fly in, they really have to have their systems or have a system to get it rather than making us go through the trouble incase we lost keeping track.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I never understood is that since they have all the arrivals/departures in the system, why they bother having us list it out. It would be simple if they made the determination from their system and asked to to explain specific travel periods that they have an issue with rather than ask us to list out all the dates.

What are they trying to check with that kind of request. I think this form needs to be brought up to the mordern age.

In case they missed one of the travel dates, and to see how honest the applicant is.

What I never understood is that since they have all the arrivals/departures in the system, why they bother having us list it out.
They don't have 100% of the trips for 100% of the people (but you don't know how much they have about you). And the information is not always readily available at the click of a button. It is often easier to verify a given list of trips that you wrote, than to gather all the information from scratch.

Last edited by a moderator:
My case is 16 years of GC. I could not find all the trip records for the last 16 year that N400 is asking to list up. First I have one passport missing and even with the 2 old and new passports I can not figure out exactly when and where I travelled. I did Excel spreadsheet to list up almost 35-40 trips during the time but yet it is not complete.
I understand the the physical presense is required for the last 5 years only. Then why they are asking for all the trips beyond the 5 years since GC? So if I skip the unclear trips and/or wrong trip records with CBP older than 5 year, then can it be alarmed?

My case is 16 years of GC. I could not find all the trip records for the last 16 year that N400 is asking to list up. First I have one passport missing and even with the 2 old and new passports I can not figure out exactly when and where I travelled. I did Excel spreadsheet to list up almost 35-40 trips during the time but yet it is not complete.
I understand the the physical presense is required for the last 5 years only. Then why they are asking for all the trips beyond the 5 years since GC? So if I skip the unclear trips and/or wrong trip records with CBP older than 5 year, then can it be alarmed?

You can only disclose what you know and what you can reference. If you don't know every trip you took since becoming LPR, no need to worry. The IO will be able to look over your case t interview.

I have a similar situation as pipedream2. I have records of all my trips by air, but I took many short trips (7 days or less) to Canada with my family, most of them by car. Since my passport was generally never stamped, I have no record of the dates and I can only remember the approximate dates from memory or by looking at photos, etc. What should I put down on my N400 application? Thanks.