Travelling other countries with greencard

m_kandy

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys:

I am planning to visit London for a week(I am not a citizan of UK). I got my green card. Still I have to get a visitor visa right ?

Please answer.

Thanks

depends on your nationality.....

if you needed a UK visa before getting the GC then you need a visa now also...

m_kandy said:
Hi guys:

I am planning to visit London for a week(I am not a citizan of UK). I got my green card. Still I have to get a visitor visa right ?

Please answer.

Thanks

actually that may not be correct

you might be able to forego the visa

call the uk cosulate just to make sure

I just visited UK....did all the research before i put the post...

i am an Indian citizen...so therefore need a visa...

bb_5555 said:
actually that may not be correct

you might be able to forego the visa

call the uk cosulate just to make sure

the only kind of UK or EU/Schengen visa that you will not require as a GC-holder is an airport transit visa (called a "direct airside transit visa", or DATV in the UK). but *only* if you have a plastic GC. a mere i551 stamp does not qualify as a GC for these europeans... funny, since US immigration is okay with it. plus royaliste que le roi?

that's makes no sense

the stamp proves that you hold a gc regardless

like I was saying earlier you may run into trouble with the stamp because most other countries are not familiar with it

be more persistant than that

make them contact the us consulate

bb_5555 said:
that's makes no sense. the stamp proves that you hold a gc regardless

The issue you run into is that the stamp is of little value unless it can be verified against the database, which is what CBP typically does when you present it at the POE. Since other nations do not have access to the USCIS databases, the stamp is of little value to them and has many fewer security features than the card itself.

By the way, you can't make the immigration folks when entering a country do much of anything when you are neither a citizen nor permanent resident. It's far easier for them to simply deny you entry than to bother contacting the US consulate.

Switzerland does not require a visa if you have a GC. Boycott all the other nations! Screw asking the employer for a verificaion letter and being subject to each consulate's BS just to spend money in their countries!

gopher97 said:
Switzerland does not require a visa if you have a GC. Boycott all the other nations! Screw asking the employer for a verificaion letter and being subject to each consulate's BS just to spend money in their countries!

Yes this is exactly what one should do. In fact avoid Lufthansa and other european airlines altogether while going to India. Just use asian airlines like cathey pacific, thai and singapore.

-JC