Traveling with RTD but NO GC.

gandrud

Registered Users (C)
Hello people, I will explain my situation.

I've been here since on a Student Visa F1 for many years (Internation Language Program, High School, College). Usually every 2 years I had to renew my Visa in Tijuana without any problems( I've never been here illegal and I was renewing/signed my i20 every single trip). I was traveling every summer and winter and always getting a new i94.

Last year I applied for asylum and after 3 months I was granted. Right after I applied for my RTD ($380) and 3 months later I got it at home.

My step-father lives in Norway and he has prostate cancer, I will go to Norway(Not my COP) in August for 2 weeks and my question is: Will I have problems at the Immigration in the USA? Remembering that I don't have a GC. (I already got the Schengen Visa)

Guys, THANK THANK THANK YOU SO MUCH! I'd love you guys to help me!

You paid $380 for your RTD last year? They reduced the fee to $220 including biometrics. Why did you pay so much?

You won't have any problems re-entering the US if you have no skeletons in your closet, which, as far as I can gather from your posts, you don't. Don't forget the letter from the Norwegian consulate.

You paid $380 for your RTD last year? They reduced the fee to $220 including biometrics. Why did you pay so much?

You won't have any problems re-entering the US if you have no skeletons in your closet, which, as far as I can gather from your posts, you don't. Don't forget the letter from the Norwegian consulate.

Cafe,
You always a great helper! But the problem is that I read things on this website and I go crazy. People were saying that RTD holders won't be allowed back in the country.

Do you feel me? So why does the USCIS give us a RTD if you can't come back? I don't know why people say crazy things!

Let's say they refuse me, and then what? Where will I go?

I paid $312 + $84 biometrics

Yes, it doesn't make sense to issue an RTD and deny you entry. Which threads have you been reading?

If you become inadmissible while you are out of the country (like, if you commit a crime, lie to immigration, etc.), then you can be denied entry. Chances are, though, that you will be allowed in and will have to face whatever consequences after.

I don't know why you paid so much, but maybe it was in combination with another application? If you look at the fees her http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...toid=b1ae408b1c4b3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD , you can see that the cost is $220.

Yes, it doesn't make sense to issue an RTD and deny you entry. Which threads have you been reading?

If you become inadmissible while you are out of the country (like, if you commit a crime, lie to immigration, etc.), then you can be denied entry. Chances are, though, that you will be allowed in and will have to face whatever consequences after.

I don't know why you paid so much, but maybe it was in combination with another application? If you look at the fees her http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...toid=b1ae408b1c4b3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD , you can see that the cost is $220.

Cafe, have you been out of the country with just the RTD?

I don't know why I paid more. I remember I sent them 2 checks to the office in Arizona. I'm sure the first check was over $300

Yes I have been out of the country on an RTD several times. Only once did I re-enter without a GC, but if you read the RTD carefully, you will see that it clearly states that it can be used to re-admit the bearer into the US after a temporary trip abroad. Read page 3, 24 and 25. Be very careful with it. If you lose it, it will be very difficult to get back to the US.

Yes I have been out of the country on an RTD several times. Only once did I re-enter without a GC, but if you read the RTD carefully, you will see that it clearly states that it can be used to re-admit the bearer into the US after a temporary trip abroad. Read page 3, 24 and 25. Be very careful with it. If you lose it, it will be very difficult to get back to the US.

I didn't get the part "only once did i re-enter"! Were you illegal when you applied for asylum or did you apply within the one year period?

Before I got my GC, I only left and re-entered the US once with an RTD. With the GC, I left and re-entered several times with an RTD and an RP.

I have never been unlawfully in the US. I have always been in one legal status or another.

Seriously, don't worry.

Before I got my GC, I only left and re-entered the US once with an RTD. With the GC, I left and re-entered several times with an RTD and an RP.

I have never been unlawfully in the US. I have always been in one legal status or another.

Seriously, don't worry.

Cafe, thank you so much. You are the most important person on this forum, very helpful. I wish we could talk on the phone.

Haha, thanks, but I think people like Jackolantern and BigJoe5 deserve that accolade much more. I just know a lot about traveling on RTDs and RPs, and staying out of the country for long periods of time.

I've also

used RTD many, and I mean MAAANY times WITHOUT a green card to reenter the US and NEVER had a problem. You know the US government is really meticulous about its policies and in this country they're all about informing you of what can happen. Even in a US passport it says that you will be "inspected" that the passport is "property of the US government" yada yada... If they issued youa RTD is because they already went ahead and checked your everything UP TO THE DAY you were issued that document. So, just like cafeconleche said, as long as you haven't killed anyone or robbed the 7Eleven you should be fine.

As I said, I used RTD MANy times to reenter the US without a green card. MOST officer at the airport are knowledgeable about what a RTD is and it's for, however you should always be prepared to deal with some uninformed ones, which are usually in the south (DFW, ATL). Once I was even sent to secondary inspection in DFW but when I went to secondary inspection and presented my RTD the lady said "Who sent you here?" I responded "The Officer at the booth", she proceeded to respond while she shook her head in a sign of disappointment: "These people man, you are FINE, go ahead,it must have been because of your travel document"- and admitting me automatically.

They may also ask "where is your passport?". Sometimes I presented sometimes I didn't. Personally I don't think it's a good idea, RTD only is FINE.

This will clear your questions (I hope) or confuse you even more. If the latter happens pls let me know- I think cafe clarified a lot of questions you had, I just wanted to chime in a bit.

used RTD many, and I mean MAAANY times WITHOUT a green card to reenter the US and NEVER had a problem. You know the US government is really meticulous about its policies and in this country they're all about informing you of what can happen. Even in a US passport it says that you will be "inspected" that the passport is "property of the US government" yada yada... If they issued youa RTD is because they already went ahead and checked your everything UP TO THE DAY you were issued that document. So, just like cafeconleche said, as long as you haven't killed anyone or robbed the 7Eleven you should be fine.

As I said, I used RTD MANy times to reenter the US without a green card. MOST officer at the airport are knowledgeable about what a RTD is and it's for, however you should always be prepared to deal with some uninformed ones, which are usually in the south (DFW, ATL). Once I was even sent to secondary inspection in DFW but when I went to secondary inspection and presented my RTD the lady said "Who sent you here?" I responded "The Officer at the booth", she proceeded to respond while she shook her head in a sign of disappointment: "These people man, you are FINE, go ahead,it must have been because of your travel document"- and admitting me automatically.

They may also ask "where is your passport?". Sometimes I presented sometimes I didn't. Personally I don't think it's a good idea, RTD only is FINE.

This will clear your questions (I hope) or confuse you even more. If the latter happens pls let me know- I think cafe clarified a lot of questions you had, I just wanted to chime in a bit.

Mauricio! Where are you?

I just wanna say, thank you thank thank you so much. I feel so much better now! I loved your answer! Right to the point....not like some people here that talk about deportation yada yda but your question! I'd love to keep in touch with you.

hi guys, i am new for this thread, i have question,if smb can answer please;
i have RTD also i want to travel abroad too like russia, when i land airport when they ask the document,should i have to show my RTD or my foreign passport at the custom?
Thank you very much

When you arrive in Russia, it would be better to have a visa in your RTD and to use that to enter. The RTD will allow you to return to the US, too. If your country of citizenship allows you visa-free travel to Russia, then you might choose to show that there instead, but you should then consider going through a third country (such as Germany) that does not require a visa with an RTD.

Thanks, yeah my country allows visa free to russia, so better show my np over there and when i am back with my rtd,is that right?

When you arrive in Russia, it would be better to have a visa in your RTD and to use that to enter. The RTD will allow you to return to the US, too. If your country of citizenship allows you visa-free travel to Russia, then you might choose to show that there instead, but you should then consider going through a third country (such as Germany) that does not require a visa with an RTD.

H1 extension beyond 6th year

Hi,

We started the PERM in 2009. Which got approved. Subsequently the I140 after a year plus pending got denied in Nov 2011. We filed for H1 extension premium beyond 6th year in Oct 2011. After 9month wait UCIS approved only untill Aug 20, 2012.

At this time we have a new pending PERM from Nov 2011. My H1 was set to expire on July 19, 2012. We don't know why they give till Aug 20.

I was out of country for a month in 2008 so we believe that they might have added those days.

At this time can we

1) Do a request to do a Hardship extension as my wife just deivered a baby 2 days back. It will be economic hardship to loose job. My employer is willing to file an extension but the lawyer is seemingly making it difficult. She is saying there is no legal days to ask for

2) Request officialy the out of country days towards recapture as we never reclaimed them on paper

3) Request a general 1 year extenion as the permanent residency is processing since 2009 however we don't have a pending case older than 365 days

Thanks,

Hi Gandrud,

sorry for taking so long to get back to you, I don't check this forum as often as I used to or should :)

I am in Los Angeles. Send me a private message with you email if you would like to keep in touch, I am totally fine sharing my experience as an asylee /P. Resident and citizen.

:)

Mauricio! Where are you?

I just wanna say, thank you thank thank you so much. I feel so much better now! I loved your answer! Right to the point....not like some people here that talk about deportation yada yda but your question! I'd love to keep in touch with you.