Traveling to UK and Italy on RTD

WoosterLad

Registered Users (C)
Hi all... I promised I'd give you a recap of my recent trip to the UK and Italy as it pertains to immigration issues with traveling on a RTD (I'm a GC holder).

Here's a quick run down:

Entered Heathrow with a 6-month UK visa on May 21. The IO said I needed secondary clearance and kept me waiting an hour. I had no clue what the issue was. He looked at me twice apologitically, as if to say, he was sorry no one had come to see me yet. Finally, someone showed up and took me in to a secondary inspection room. He apologized for the inconvenience, took finger prints and a photo, added a barcode label on my visa page and let me go. Said it was the new policy of double checking those entering with RTDs and was a one time thing that happens the first time you enter on a new RTD and lasts the duration of the RTD. Throughout the process, everyone was nothing but friendly and made me feel welcome despite the inconvenience.

Next day, May 22, left London Gatwick for a 24 hour business trip to Florence, Italy with a one-month Schengen visa I obtained from the Netherlands Consulate in Los Angeles earlier this year. Was surprised to find no immigration desk or exit stamp. The IO at Florence took a few seconds to scrutinize my RTD but didn't cause any problems. Stamped it quickly.

Leaving Florence on May 23 was a slightly more tedious process. The stupid IO officer had NO friggin clue what the RTD was and kept referring to a colleague for several minutes before finally stamping my RTD and letting my go.

Entering Gatwick was a breeze. The IO was the most pleasant one I've ever had. We even chatted for 5 minutes while she kept a few others waiting. LOL. She apologized that I was kept waiting so long the previous time at Heathrow. The most pleasant immigration experience I've ever had!

Leaving Heathrow yesterday was easy as well. No immigration exit desk or stamp. The ignorant American Airlines' attendant asked where my passport was and I had to explain why I couldn't travel with one. She didn't get it and I had to once again explain to the moron that I wouldn't be traveling with a travel document if I had a regular passport. Her colleague told her to let me through.

Getting back into the US at LAX was surprisingly quick and smooth. I was in and out through immigration in less than 2 minutes. I was apprehensive since this was my first time coming back in with a GC and was unsure if they'd send me to secondary inspection or not. The IO asked why I was traveling with a RTD. I said because I got a GC through asylum. He nodded, stamped my RTD and I was through. It was awsome.