Traveling to puerto rico without visa.

gnr5

Registered Users (C)
My wife and I are planning to travel to Puerto Rico... she currently only holds a work permit as she ran out of status about a little less than a year ago. She is waiting for a EAD, she has a valid DL.

I talked to three immigration officers (not customer services) and all of them said that it was perfect, one of them mentioned to bring EAD just to prove she has legal presence.

Anyone traveled to puerto rico without a passport and under these conditions?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope...

...That the advice you are getting are from people that are not guessing, but have actually had the experience.

Because this is from the PR gov'ts web site.

http://www.prfaa.com/services.asp?id=43

Here's what it says.

"Resident aliens residing in the U.S. traveling to the Commonwealth are required to have a valid passport and an appropriate U.S. visa, if required by the U.S. State Department."

Fact is that Green card holders are just resident aliens and your green card is your visa, albeit a permanent one. Unless you have actually been told by a green card holder that has done it, I would take your passport. It can't hurt.

I went to Puerto Rico and USVI in 2003, for a K1 honeymoon. I was in C9 status (filed for AOS after K1 & marriage, but AOS not yet approved). We chose PR/USVI because we couldn't leave the US (without parole) because the AOS was still in process.

When departing Puerto Rico to fly to mainland US, there was an immigration officer that asked to see my foreign passport, and I showed my I-485 receipt as evidence of my C9 status. The immigration officer said that it is so easy to sail a boat from non-US territories to the USVI or Puerto Rico, so it is standard policy that they inspect.

I'd recommend that you bring evidence of your status.

-ML

5/13/08 - Parent I-130/I-485/I-765/I-131 mailed to Chicago Lockbox
5/22/08 - checks cashed, receipt numbers from Missouri MSC
5/23/08 - receipt numbers not up on case status website yet
5/26/08 - waiting on notices, but out on vacation and not sure if they arrived...

I just came back from PR a week ago. It's just like flying to any other state, you only need your DL. I'm a GC holder and no one asked to see my passport or GC (I didn't take neither with me to begin with). Now whether PR was worth the trip or not, thats a whole different matter.

I just came back from PR a week ago. It's just like flying to any other state, you only need your DL. I'm a GC holder and no one asked to see my passport or GC (I didn't take neither with me to begin with). Now whether PR was worth the trip or not, thats a whole different matter.

Really? You didn't enjoy yourself?

Either way, I think it would be common sense to take proof of your status whenever you travel in the US. I would. JUST IN CASE. We all know, as immigrants and travelers, how things can be. I would definitely take a passport and GC etc. What if I wanted to take a cheap flight, suddenly, to the British Virgin Islands? GC holders don't need a visa.

An IO at an InfoPass told me (when I was planning the trip, we're not going anymore) that we could bring our EAD as as extra ID.