Traveling to COP on RTD in case of DEATH in the family.

alum123456

Registered Users (C)
Please advise what documents should be obtained in order to enter back to USA. The RTD is on hand, valid trhu May. Also, the valid NP is on hand. I am planning to use it in order to enter COP.

thanks

Hi, I'm in similar dilemma. I'm currently waiting for the decision on my pending I-730 case and I plan on going back home during my summer vacation, What document do I need for it? I'm currently in F-1, visa is still unexpired....Also, if I left the country, are there any chances that I won't be allowed to reenter the country?

Hi, I'm in similar dilemma. I'm currently waiting for the decision on my pending I-730 case and I plan on going back home during my summer vacation, What document do I need for it? I'm currently in F-1, visa is still unexpired....Also, if I left the country, are there any chances that I won't be allowed to reenter the country?

I do not think there should be problems.

Ty..I just wanted a confirmation...I mean from someon who's really done it...also....what document do i need to apply for?!

You CAN NOT apply for any immigration benefits at this point (such as RTD, RP or anything like that). Your case is still pending, so if you travel it will be at your own risk and with the documents that you have right now (NP and F1 visa).

BEAWARE, that you may not be allow to enter the US with your F1 visa because you have shown an immgrant intend with the file of the I-730. It will make NO SENSE to the CBP officer to allow you back in the US with a NON-IMMIGRANT visa IF YOU plan to immigrate with a derivative asylum. Most likely they will refuse you entry into the US and make you wait for your I-730 approval back home.

BTW: If you want experience from someone who already done it, I have 2 different cases. 1 that was sent back home while trying to reenter the US with his B visa, and another who entered the US with no problems but his lawyer had to explain the reason of his travel during the adjudication interview.

Last edited by a moderator:
You CAN NOT apply for any immigration benefits at this point (such as RTD, RP or anything like that). Your case is still pending, so if you travel it will be at your own risk and with the documents that you have right now (NP and F1 visa).

BEAWARE, that you may not be allow to enter the US with your F1 visa because you have shown an immgrant intend with the file of the I-730. It will make NO SENSE to the CBP officer to allow you back in the US with a NON-IMMIGRANT visa IF YOU plan to immigrate with a derivative asylum. Most likely they will refuse you entry into the US and make you wait for your I-730 approval back home.

BTW: If you want experience from someone who already done it, I have 2 different cases. 1 that was sent back home while trying to reenter the US with his B visa, and another who entered the US with no problems but his lawyer had to explain the reason of his travel during the adjudication interview.

The regulations are completely silent on the ability of an I-730 appliant to travel while the petition is under review. I checked and there appears to be no USCIS memo on this subject.

Being risk averse, I concur with ccordova624. Having an I-730 pending can be taken as evidence of immigration intent. Immigration intent will invalidate your student visa as a matter of law. DHS can deny you entry and make you wait outside the United States until the I-730 is approved.

I would not travel unless I received some kind of assurance from the DHS that it was OK.

Last edited by a moderator:
The regulations are completely silent on the ability of an I-730 appliant to travel while the petition is under review. I checked and there appears to be no USCIS memo on this subject.

Being risk averse, I concur with ccordova624. Having an I-730 pending can be taken as evidence of immigration intent. Immigration intent will invalidate your student visa as a matter of law. DHS can deny you entry and make you wait outside the United States until the I-730 is approved.

I would not travel unless I received some kind of assurance from the DHS that it was OK.

Thanks for the info folks. What about advanced parole? What is it all about?

Green card or asylum status?

I have applied for GC but do not have it yet. My asylum was approved and I have a valid RTD (valud thru the end of may). i just want to know what kind of paper I need to show to the officer in the airport to prove that I did not go to the COP for fun. Because i do not want to jeopardies my status here.

I have applied for GC but do not have it yet. My asylum was approved and I have a valid RTD (valud thru the end of may). i just want to know what kind of paper I need to show to the officer in the airport to prove that I did not go to the COP for fun. Because i do not want to jeopardies my status here.

Medical and/or funeral documents, on official letterhead, translated into English.

Thanks for the info folks. What about advanced parole? What is it all about?

Parole is typically issued to people who do not have another status through which they could enter the US or they have a pending GC application. In your case, you conceivably could re-enter on F-1 (but as thankful and cordova advised, you should probably not risk that).

Thanks again everyone...wow then... I can't go back until they make a decision on my case?

Alum123456 , thankfull is right you will be needing all the medical records translated to english. I traveled to COP as an asylee for the exact same reasons my father was really sick. I requested a RTD expedite handling request and got it within 2 weeks. I expalained in the application I was traveling to cop and the reasons . since I didnt have the time I translated all documents myself.
I never showed my NP not even when coming back which I had some problems at the airport of COP. On my way back I was taken to the little room as they usually do when you travel outside the country. The officer did ask me where I was , I explained the situation and showed him the papers he briefly just browse them and told me "good because if not I will send you back " meaning that if I didnt have proof he would send me back .

Just Make sure to have your papers avoid showing your NP whenever you dont have to and dont stay to long I stay 10 because of fear of not coming back and now I regret the extra time I did not spend with my Father . Good Luck