Traveling outside US before Oath

dkrivosheyev

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I am new on this forum, and I have rather unusual question - is it OK to travel outside the U.S. for vacation while waiting for the oath ceremony? My timeline -
Applied 04/30/06
FP 06/07/06
Interview 08/30/06, rescheduled due to hurricane 11/08/06 (Jacksonville, FL)
Oath - still waiting

I passed the interview and was given the approval notice. I have been waiting for oath letter for 6 weeks, them went to info pass. Found out that oath will be in Pensacola, FL where I live. Called the court house in Pensacola and found out that next oath is scheduled for February 23rd. I would like to go to India for vacation in January, for about 2 weeks. Is it safe to do so? Would this create any problems at the oath ceremony? Have anyone had a similar experience?
Thank you!
Dmitri

Dmitri,
I took a week long trip to Canada between my interview and oath. No issues either at re-entry, or at the oath ceremony.
Enjoy your trip!!!

Certainly! Short trips are no problem at all - just declare them when asked during the pre-oath registration.

still concerned...

Thank you for your input. However, I am still concerned about this situation since I had a continuous residency problem during the application process. I spent 11 month in Russia in 2003 (my wife was very sick at that time and could not come to U.S.) and I also worked in Russia for 1 month. When I originally had my interview in 2004 my case was denied because of that. I applied again in 2006 and I had a really good attorney with me during the interview. This time the officer approved my case. That is why I am concerned with traveling before the oath - even for two weeks. Can they deny my citizenship at the oath ceremony because I traveled for a short period of time? My attorney does not recommend me to travel before the oath ceremony. However, this January is the only time I can take a vacation, and I really want to travel to India to see this country (I am originally from Russia).

Did anybody hear about cases denied at the oath ceremony? Is it possible at all? Please share your wisdom :)

Thank you,

Dmitri

dkrivosheyev said:
Thank you for your input. However, I am still concerned about this situation since I had a continuous residency problem during the application process. I spent 11 month in Russia in 2003 (my wife was very sick at that time and could not come to U.S.) and I also worked in Russia for 1 month. When I originally had my interview in 2004 my case was denied because of that. I applied again in 2006 and I had a really good attorney with me during the interview. This time the officer approved my case. That is why I am concerned with traveling before the oath - even for two weeks. Can they deny my citizenship at the oath ceremony because I traveled for a short period of time? My attorney does not recommend me to travel before the oath ceremony. However, this January is the only time I can take a vacation, and I really want to travel to India to see this country (I am originally from Russia).

Did anybody hear about cases denied at the oath ceremony? Is it possible at all? Please share your wisdom :)

Thank you,

Dmitri

Your lawyer is drunk,as fas as I can tell, you have no issue at all if it is a vacation.

The officers at the oath ceremony will not know the specifics of your case unless something causes them to retrieve your file and investigate further. Normally, they just ask questions listed on the back of the oath appointment letter, check you still agree to bear arms if required, and make sure you haven't been arrested. You will be questioned about travel, but its quite common for people to have taken short trips, so no big deal assuming you continue to meet the requirements for continuous residence and physical presence.

Thank you. I was thinking along the same lines, but I just wanted a second opinion :) It took a great effort and a long time for me to get to this point, and my long absence in 2003 was my main concern during the interview. It was OK, though, we were able to prove continuous residency.

I have been out of the country 3 times between the interview and the oath (all business trips) and never had an issue coming back.

Enjoy your vacation.

Thanks..!!

I am in same situation and this all posts helped me a lot..!!
Thanks..!!

But Why it is taking so long for Oath date to come..?? Is there anyway we could aproximetely find out when our oath date will be come..?? Any web sites..! any gov. phone numbers to call..??
If anyone know please let me know..!!

Here is how I found out (I don't have the oath letter yet): Had my interview on 11/08/06. Waited 6 weeks, no oath letter; went to Jacksonville for info pass. The officer told me that my oath will be in Pensacola, where I live, and that all my paperwork was already sent to Pensacola to the court house. The officer did not tell me the date - he did not know. I got back to Pensacola and called the court house. I asked them when the next oath will take place. The clerk told me that it will be on February 23rd. I assume since my paperwork was already sent to Pensacola, I will get a lettor to come to that oath sometime later.

Hope this helps.

Dmitri

Thanks for quick reply

What is Jacksonville? Is that some kind of office near to your place or it is website?? Where do you get "info pass"? What is info pass.? Can please explain..??
Appreciated..!!

Jacksonville, FL is the city where I had my interview. I live in Pensacola, FL. Info Pass is the appointment system with USCIS to find out information about your case. You can go to www.uscis.gov website and click on "Info Pass" link. This will allow you to schedule an appointment at the closest CIS district office. You can go there at the scheduled day and time and talk to an immigration officer about your case.

Dmitri

Thanks..!!

Oh,,I see..!!
Thanks a lot for all the informations..!! And so quick reply..!!

Last edited by a moderator: