Traveling outside US and 90 days timeline

Citizen_2009

Registered Users (C)
If i am filing 90 days prior to 5 years and leave US for 1 month immediately after filing, will my application be rejected if by date of interview i have not completed 5 years ?
or
will i have to reschedule my interview to complete 5 years prior. Please advice, if i should cancel the travel if it is advised not to travel after filing n 400 ?

Don't worry about the 90 days, you can do interview before the 5 years, but not take the oath. If they give you the interview before the 5 years they will schedule your oath for a date after you've been 5 years.
You can travel after filing N-400 provided you have someone to check your mail and you don't go over any continuous residence or physical presence limits which shouldn't happen if you take a short trip.

If i am filing 90 days prior to 5 years and leave US for 1 month immediately after filing, will my application be rejected if by date of interview i have not completed 5 years ?
or
will i have to reschedule my interview to complete 5 years prior. Please advice, if i should cancel the travel if it is advised not to travel after filing n 400 ?

There have been some reported (rare) instances of IOs denying an application when the interview was conducted before the 5th year anniversary.
Another scenario is IO rescheduling your interview, or recommending it for approval and having oath after 5th year anniversary.
If you choose to file early, file a few days later like 85 days before 5th anniversary to avoid any discrepancies in date calculations by USCIS.

or

If you leave immediately for 1 month after filing, you might miss your Finger Print appointment. These days they are sending FP notices with in weeks. Have some one check your mail, as I heard that USPS sends the letters back if you put mail on hold.
-JS

Thanks everyone. But to clarify i have already applied for citizenship and plan to travel only after completing FP. I know the interview takes place at least 1 month after FP, so plan to be back by then.
Based on what you have replied shall i reschedule my interview to compensate for 1 month i'll be out ?

Thanks everyone. But to clarify i have already applied for citizenship and plan to travel only after completing FP. I know the interview takes place at least 1 month after FP, so plan to be back by then.
Based on what you have replied shall i reschedule my interview to compensate for 1 month i'll be out ?

No, you are fine. Just make sure someone checks your mail. The process seems to go pretty quickly these days.

I had my interview a week before my PR date and didn't have any problems. The IO just informed me at the end that I passed, but because it was a week early he said I couldn't get any same day oath etc if they had offered it and just said wait for the letter. The letter came 3 weeks later and my oath was the next month...