Traveling Outside the US As Asylee applicant ,Asylee,LPR through Asylum

Is refugee travel document enough to travel abroad? For 3rd country?
The refugee travel document alone allows you to come back to the US, yes, that's the only thing you need. Rule #1, don't go to your home country under any circumstances. Rule #2, you have to check with the embassy or the consulate of the country you want to visit to see if they accept the RTD and if you'll require a visa or not.

The refugee travel document alone allows you to come back to the US, yes, that's the only thing you need. Rule #1, don't go to your home country under any circumstances. Rule #2, you have to check with the embassy or the consulate of the country you want to visit to see if they accept the RTD and if you'll require a visa or not.
Thank you for the quick reply. I also see advanced parole and other documents on uscis website. It was a bit confusing, so I asked to confirm if there’s anything else I need to apply before I go to 3rd country. Thanks for your response. It was helpful.

I may never go back to my homecountry for rest of my life. I will definitely check if I need visa after I get RTD.

What about if I have to visit a 3rd country for a business trip or something necessary but that country does not accept my RTD and my national passport is expired! What your advice? Do I just renew my national passport and if the office in my citizenship interview asked me about it, I just explain to him or her why I had no choice other than renew it through my national embassy in Washington DC.
Or maybe that's very risky for my citizenship application in the future and I have to avoid renew my national passport no matter what.

What about if I have to visit a 3rd country for a business trip or something necessary but that country does not accept my RTD and my national passport is expired! What your advice? Do I just renew my national passport and if the office in my citizenship interview asked me about it, I just explain to him or her why I had no choice other than renew it through my national embassy in Washington DC.
Or maybe that's very risky for my citizenship application in the future and I have to avoid renew my national passport no matter what.
If you already have a green card, it is possible to renew your national passport with "less" of a risk to you depending on what your asylum is based on. If your asylum is based on any form of persecution from the government, I wouldn't do it unless the government that persecuted you is no longer in control. However, there is always a risk in doing this, and it all depends on how confidently you believe you can defend doing this at the citizenship interview if the officer asks you why. There's a few posts on this thread about doing this. If you don't feel comfortable running this risk, then there's nothing you can do, and you have to travel to a different country, or wait until you become a citizen and travel with a US passport.

If you already have a green card, it is possible to renew your national passport with "less" of a risk to you depending on what your asylum is based on. If your asylum is based on any form of persecution from the government, I wouldn't do it unless the government that persecuted you is no longer in control. However, there is always a risk in doing this, and it all depends on how confidently you believe you can defend doing this at the citizenship interview if the officer asks you why. There's a few posts on this thread about doing this. If you don't feel comfortable running this risk, then there's nothing you can do, and you have to travel to a different country, or wait until you become a citizen and travel with a US passport.
Thank you for your reply. I will do my best to avoid renew my national passport for now. People from Canada with RTD are so lucky because there are a lot of countries accepting their RTD comparing to USA RTD. I don't know why!

So, you were approved 2-3 weeks after your interview? I think you must have made a very good impression on the officer.
It was a pretty straightforward case. If they have refused, I couldn’t go anywhere. Even now, I don’t know if I ever can go back home.

Guys, i had my approval five months ago, planning to travel the next summer and apply for travel document, could you share what documents are required to apply and do we need two passport photos - its kind of confusing in the USCIS official webpage - its only required " if outside US" not sure what do they mean by this - please share you experience applying for travel documents

Guys, i had my approval five months ago, planning to travel the next summer and apply for travel document, could you share what documents are required to apply and do we need two passport photos - its kind of confusing in the USCIS official webpage - its only required " if outside US" not sure what do they mean by this - please share you experience applying for travel documents

You need to send:
1. The I-131 application form. Make sure it's dated and signed.
2. Proof of your asylum status. Copy of I-94 front & back. Copy of your approval of asylum letter. Copy of IJ's final grant of asylum.
3. Proof of Identity. They prefer copy of your EAD (I-766) if you have it, front & back. Copy of Driver's License, front & back. Copy of passport would work as well.

If you are physically present in the US when you fill out the application, you do not have to send passport pictures. There are very rare and specific circumstances in which an asylee can apply for an RTD while outside of the US, which is when you need to send in 2 passport photos. Do not leave the country until you have your refugee travel document in hand. If it's your first time applying, it's likely going to take 4-6 months to get it. Best of luck!

It was a pretty straightforward case. If they have refused, I couldn’t go anywhere. Even now, I don’t know if I ever can go back home.
Which office did you apply to? I'm just wondering why it took them 7 months to schedule an interview for you?
Do you live in the same city as the office or you're in a small town that far away and you had to wait for AO to come to your town?

Which office did you apply to? I'm just wondering why it took them 7 months to schedule an interview for you?
Do you live in the same city as the office or you're in a small town that far away and you had to wait for AO to come to your town?
It’s Houston office, I’m in a town far away. Also I had F1 status, so it took them long.

hi, Guys, I need help here:
I have an RTD and also my national passport. I want to travel to Canada for a few days, however, the visa for Canada is on my national passport. Is it okay to travel internationally with both my RTD and national passport in a situation where the visa was stamped on my national passport and I will need the RTD to return back to the United States?
Thank you.

hi, Guys, I need help here:
I have an RTD and also my national passport. I want to travel to Canada for a few days, however, the visa for Canada is on my national passport. Is it okay to travel internationally with both my RTD and national passport in a situation where the visa was stamped on my national passport and I will need the RTD to return back to the United States?
Thank you.
#1. Do you have a Green Card? #2. Was your original asylum claim based on persecution from your home government?

#1. Do you have a Green Card? #2. Was your original asylum claim based on persecution from your home government?

#1. No, I do not have a green card yet.
#2. Yes, is based on persecution from Government but I have never renewed my NP and I don't plan on traveling to my country of persecution.