Traveling Outside the US As Asylee applicant ,Asylee,LPR through Asylum

Well Almost You answer my question. I'm the principal..And I think I will get my residence card around July. Can my wife travel to COP ? Is there any official document that explain about wifes or husbands of the principal?

Quick questions, form "I-131 Instructions" reads:

1. Rentry Permit: A reentry permit allows a permanent resident [...] to apply for admission to the US upon returning from abroad [...] without having to optain a returning resident visa.

2. A refugee travel document is issued to a person classified as a refugee or asylee OR to a permanent resident who obtained such status as a result of being a refugee or asylee in the US [...].

Based on this, I assume that I can either apply for a RTD or a RP.

- What would be the difference between the two other than the name and expiration date (RP is valid 2 years).

- Any advantages or disadvantages between one and the other?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only real advantage of an RTD is that it can be issued as many times as you want, while an RP might not be issued once you apply for a certain number. Also, with an RTD, you can travel to Germany visa-free. But, unless you spend a lot of time outside the US, you may be issued an RP many times, at least until you get citizenship. Personally, I would get an RP.

Hello,

I'm thinking about traveling to Spain in the summer, I can't find information whether or not I need a visa, since I'll be traveling with RTD and most likely without my GC, since I'm still waiting for processing.

Has anyone traveled to Spain under such circumstances?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

you have one option. you can enter at a German point of entry. Germany does not require us travel document holders, with or without GC, to have a visitor visa for stays up to 90 days. Once you are in Germany, you can travel in the Schengen states without problem as there is no boarder check point between the Schengen countries anymore. but remember, you have to fly out from Germany too since all the countries in Europe stamp visitors passports upon exit and they will check for you visa.

hope this helps

here is a quote from the following link:"At this time, holders of US travel documents issued as refugee travel documents do not require a visa to travel to Germany for tourism, transit or business. Please note that this only encompasses Germany, as other countries of the Schengen agreement may require you to hold a visa. This may be subject to change, therefore check for changes on this website before each trip. As this exception may not be known to some airlines or immigration officers, we suggest you print this information and take it with you. The printout quotes the address of this website and the date, enabling you and others to verify the information and to check if the printout is up to date.

Holders of US travel documents issued as Permit to Reenter need a visa according to their nationality."

http://www.germany.info/Vertretung/usa/en/03__Consulates/Miami/03/Visa__Zwischen__Seite.html

As you can see, this only applies to RTD holders and NOT RP holders. Also, it says this only encompasses Germany, but its doable and I know people do it all the time. It is absolutely up to you tho!

gd lk

As you can see, this only applies to RTD holders and NOT RP holders. Also, it says this only encompasses Germany, but its doable and I know people do it all the time. It is absolutely up to you tho!

It's definitely doable, but I would think that once you cross the German border with another Schengen country, you are breaking that country's laws. All it takes then is one ID check by the authorities, even for the stupidest little reason, and you may find yourself in a world of trouble. And if they let the DHS know that you used your immigration privilege (RTD) to break their laws, you may find yourself in further trouble upon returning to the US. So while it's technically very easy to sneak in and out of any Schengen country using Germany as your gateway, I think it's not a very good idea. Just get a visa!

Yah, my ID has been checked while going by train from Germany to the Netherlands, and by bus from Belgium to France. Don't sneak out of Germany. In the UK, in transit, I've never been asked for anything.

Hi everyone, this forum is so helpful.

As my trip gets closer (next month) I want to know the process of departing the US. I've read other posts, but i'm still not clear.

Bit of background....

This is my first time traveling outside of the USA since I've been here.

As of my travel dates I'll have the following documents with me:

My i-94 white card with the stamp granting me asylum as well as the letter.
My RTD and neede visas.

When I leave, do I have to surrender my i-94 card at the airport here in the U.S?

No, keep your I-94. Don't show it to the airline. You just need your RTD. When you come back, you don't need to fill out any immigration forms, just the customs form. And, when you come through immigration, you can go through the citizen's line, as that's what they made me do. Have a good trip, and don't worry if many IOs are bewildered by your RTD. Out of curiosity, where are you going?

Thank you for your reply.

I take it you've traveled quite a bit with your RTD. Mind if I ask if you've ever entered the US through fort worth tx airport?

I'm going to Spain for two weeks and Englad for 1 week.

Even without a GC I won't have to fill out any document on my way back (other than the customs form)?

I've never been through DFW, but I have been through JFK, SFO, LAX and DTW. I've re-entered the US only once without a GC, but again, no other forms except for customs, as you are not seeking admission based on a visa or the VWP.

Hello Everyone.

my sister is a derivative Asylee, her husband file for
asylum and had interview,unfortunately the case has
been referred to Washington D.C head Quaters and
it is pending there with no communication for the
last 8 years, they are renewing their EAD based on
pending asylum status.

Now due to some family emergencies ( my mom is
not well) she will need to travel back to india
so see my old mom who cannot travel.

1. Can she apply for Advance Parole as she is not
principal asylee ?

2. Can she take infopass appointment and ask for
a emergency AP at local office?

3. what do we need to do to expedite the process
which is pending for 8 years with no decision.

4. Her passport issued by indian government is also expired couple
of years ago.

In this case the principal applicant is not intending to travel.

Appriciate any help references or any lawyers
who can help in this matter, they live in
Sanfrancisco.

Please kindly help.

This forum is very helpful , I thank each and everyone
for the contribution and experience.

Thanks in advance

Help need in Pending Asylum and Travel.

Hello Everyone.

my sister is a derivative Asylee, her husband file for asylum and had interview,unfortunately the case has been referred to Washington D.C head Quarters and it is pending there with no communication for the last 8 years, they are renewing their EAD based on pending asylum status.

Now due to some family emergencies ( my mom is not well) she will need to travel back to india so see my old mom who cannot travel.

1. Can she apply for Advance Parole as she is not principal asylee ?

2. Can she take infopass appointment and ask for a emergency AP at local office?

3. what do we need to do to expedite the process
which is pending for 8 years with no decision.

4. Passport issued by Indian government is also expired few years back, Pleae kindly suggest.

5. Principal Asylum applicant is not traveling with them.

Appreciate any help references or any lawyers who can help in this matter, they live in Sanfrancisco.

Please kindly help. This forum is very helpful and thanks everyone for contribution/experience/help.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Hello,

It's me again regarding travel to Schengen Territory.

Facts:

Asylum granted in 2007
Refugee Travel Document issued May 2009
Citizen of El Salvador
i-485 Filed January 2009

Background:

As a citizen of El Salvador I wouldn't need a visa to travel to Schengen territory, however, due to my status as asylee in the US I can't get a national passport (Salvadoran passport). The Spanish consulate denied my application for a visa, because i don't have my GC, HOWEVER, when I called 3 days later to get further clarification, they told me i don't need a visa, because of nationality (Salvadoran) and all i'll need to do is show my documents confirming my status in the US.

Question:

Has anyone ever traveled without a GC, using RTD to a country where they wouldn't need a visa if they had a national passport? if so, please describe how you made the trip.

Please reply.

Hi,
I'm still confused(i did checked the thread about travelling for asylee) about the trip to COP for derivated. So, is it possible or not to get back there when you're one?
thanks for replies.

Hi,

And please could You tell me what this quote really means :

"An individual’s underlying asylum status may be terminated even if the individual has already become a lawful permanent resident."

because, I've my Dad who want to go back to his COP(6 months or more), though I'm still trying to convince him not to do so.