Traveling Outside the US As Asylee applicant ,Asylee,LPR through Asylum

i was just wandering on how soon an AP can be issued say you have someone dying and you urgently have to be there.any imputs shal be greatly appreciated.am asylum applicant(pending)

i was just wandering on how soon an AP can be issued say you have someone dying and you urgently have to be there.any imputs shal be greatly appreciated.am asylum applicant(pending)

Within several days. Contact your local congress person for assistance.

This is somthing new, check it out

3 Derivative asylees allowed to travel to the principal's country of persecution
A large question which has faced many immigration attorneys over a number of years has been what advice to give to families of asylees who hold dependent asylee status and wish to return temporarily to the homeland of their principal's persecution. U.S.C.I.S. in the past has been mum on the subject. The main argument for allowing the families to travel is that they themselves are not necessarily the persecuted, but the family members, and their ability to travel back and forth unimpeded by the home government should not deprive them of their status which is dependent upon family connection with the principal asylee. The fear of derivative asylees wishing to travel back to their homelands has been that U.S. Customs and Border Enforcement (CBP) would intercept them at the airports or other ports of entry and place them in removal proceedings for not having a valid fear of persecution. U.S.C.I.S. released a fact sheet in January 2007 which spoke of the risks of travel for asylees, but did not address the issue of derivatives. We (along with undoubtedly others) raised this question for the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) to bring to the attention of U.S.C.I.S., and U.S.C.I.S. fortunately answered the question at the Asylum Headquarters/ Non-Governmental Organization liaison meeting on March 6, 2007, in Washington D.C..

The answer provided was that the fact sheet was just a clarification of the rules and made no policy changes -- that derivative asylees are permitted to travel to the principal's country of persecution. As they were not granted asylum on their individual cases, CIS would not seek to terminate their asylum status upon such travel. However, U.S.C.I.S. noted that normal procedures would still have CBP questioning the derivative asylees when they reenter the United States.

U.S.C.I.S. headquarters further spoke on the effect of a short trip by the principal asylee to the homeland of persecution in stating that such would most likely not be considered reavailment (availing oneself again to a country's protections) by noting that reavailment is really about establishing ties and not about visiting family. However, readers should note that further questions may arise with CBP if principal asylees obtain passports or extensions of passports from the homeland of persecution prior to traveling. Also that the term "short trip" was not defined (is it two weeks or 90 days or 6 months?), nor the situation in which a businessman travels to the homeland for several short trips per year on behalf of his or her employer. Principal asylees appear have a partial but not complete answer as to their ability to travel to the homeland of persecution, and should remain cautious in planning such trips.

http://www.alanleelaw.com/english/articles/a2007-03-24.htm

Does anyone has the USCIS official document for this?

Time Question

sorry if this has been asked before, i couldnt find it. my wife is Political Asylum from Peru and is now a permanent res. we want to go to the caribbean for our honeymoon. she has lost her peru passport and her peru id is out of date. the embassy said they would get her a new peru passport and ID but it would take time (they are not sure how long). USCIS said she can use either a peru passort and permanent res card or a travel doc from them, which is a lot of money and takes a while too. i wasnt able to get in touch with USCIS again so i am asking here. is there a way to travel even though the travel doc from USCIS isnt back yet? i have about 3 1/2 months till we leave. i thought that would be plenty of time. thanks.

CD

Can anyone give me some information about traveling with RTD. Did anyone ever have problem reentering US with RTD.

Anyone ever heard about people who had illegal presence for certain period of time before receiving asylum status may face difficulty reentering US with RTD while traveling? It seems absurd to do so but i heard about it in number of places online. There are alot of people who apply for asylum after their visa expires or whose visa expire while their case is pending. Anyone, please share their thoughts and experiences if any.

Anyone ever heard about people who had illegal presence for certain period of time before receiving asylum status may face difficulty reentering US with RTD while traveling? It seems absurd to do so but i heard about it in number of places online. There are alot of people who apply for asylum after their visa expires or whose visa expire while their case is pending. Anyone, please share their thoughts and experiences if any.

I haven't heard of such a case.

just came back from COP

Hello my good friends of this forum
I just want to share my experience:
Three weeks ago we got information from my dad's doctor about him be diagnostic with cancer, i knew all the risk about traveling to COP and the posibble questioning at interview; but with all that family is family and i went there for five days last week to be with my dad and check first hand this matter and returned last night from bush, houston international. at immigration check not single question asked, i got my passport stamped in less than a minute and welcome back by the officer.
I did use my GC and NP which still valid until 2013.
I bring all the paper stuff from doctor and payment receips from clinic about private opinion about his cancer. I'll have to wait until citizenship interview and see if i'll be questioned about this trip or not, but i feel that i did the right thing. I know some of you have different opinions about what is emergency or priority for USCIS but it is up to every single person to take this kind of desitions to take or not the risk.

My question is about a cruise to the Bahamas. I'm an asylee, no GC, no RTD (waiting for it), no NP. The only thing I have currently is the I-94 with the big red stamp on it, saying that asylum status was granted indefinitely. Is there any way I can get on that cruise, and more importantly, come back to the US? It's in a month, and my RTD probably won't get to me until winter.

My question is about a cruise to the Bahamas. I'm an asylee, no GC, no RTD (waiting for it), no NP. The only thing I have currently is the I-94 with the big red stamp on it, saying that asylum status was granted indefinitely. Is there any way I can get on that cruise, and more importantly, come back to the US? It's in a month, and my RTD probably won't get to me until winter.

you need RTD with the distination visa on it.Visa is for entry to the destination and RTD itself is permision to enter to us.
other than this there is no way to travel anywhere even taking cruise and remember that do not leave US without RTD even if you have a NP, there is no guranty to return because you still don't have a GC.RTD is the only document you will need.

Clarification

Looking for some clarification on this question: AS8 status with GC and valid NP, what documents needed to travel abroad (not COP)? This may have been answered before in a different way, but would like to make sure.

You have already what is needed to travel
GC in hand+ NP is enough.
make sure you have a valid visa for the country you are visiting.

So no RTD needed. What are they referring to on the USCIS website when they say "Lawful Permanent Residents: Lawful permanent residents who obtained such status based on their asylum status may also travel abroad with refugee travel documents."? The parent who petitioned for the AS8?

So no RTD needed. What are they referring to on the USCIS website when they say "Lawful Permanent Residents: Lawful permanent residents who obtained such status based on their asylum status may also travel abroad with refugee travel documents."? The parent who petitioned for the AS8?
As you said you may( if you would like) travel with RTD instead of NP.That simply means that is another choice for asylee because most of them don't have NP or their NP is or will be expire. Other thing you should keep in mind is that don't renew it after expiration because might become question of naturalization interview. over all with 385.00 dollars fee for the stupid RTD, I would stick with NP as long as it's valid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Egypt

hello all
did any asylee visit Egypt with RTD only ? how was your experience at Egypt airport upon arrival and departure? any problems?

thanks

hello all
did any asylee visit Egypt with RTD only ? how was your experience at Egypt airport upon arrival and departure? any problems?

thanks

I visited Egypt in 2002, so thing may have changed since then. The only problem I had on arrival was that the Passport Control officer didn't have a clue as to what my RTD was, so he took it and went to some office room for about 10-15 minutes (to consult his supervisor, I suppose). It was my first trip outside of the US with the RTD, so I had about 3 consecutive heart attacks during those 15 minutes :eek: But he came back, stamped it, and I was good to go. In my later travels around the world, I found that it's the norm for them not to know how to treat the RTD, even in Frankfurt the IO had the clueless look on her face. Never failed. But back to Egypt. I did need a visa, the visa process was very easy though - next day, and only cost $15. You do have to apply and pick it up in person though.

Again, this was 6 years ago, so call the Egyptian consulate for updated information.

Hello! everyone,

My father Petition for me and for my mom, he took asylum 5 years back,
me and my mom entered in US on may- 2006, i got my green card 6 month ago its 2008 now,
my Girl friend is in my home country i want to marry her is it save to go back to my home country and get married and petition for her in US Please help me Out!!

Thanks,