Traveling on AP, is a Transit Visa required for Zurich?

books12345

Registered Users (C)
Traveling on AP, do you need a transit visa for Zurich, Switzerland. I have a connecting flight at Zurich.

Anyone, please help!

Traveling on AP, do you need a transit visa for Zurich, Switzerland. I have a connecting flight at Zurich.

Anyone, please help!

If you are not leaving the airport, then you are fine. You don't need a transit visa...unless you come from a country where a transit visa is required for going from one terminal to ther other.... which will be weird in anyway..:p

You need the transit visa for UK only. Not for any other country. Transit means you are waiting at the airport for another flight...

Good Luck.

If you are not leaving the airport, then you are fine. You don't need a transit visa...unless you come from a country where a transit visa is required for going from one terminal to ther other.... which will be weird in anyway..:p

Oh, you'd be surprised... :rolleyes:

Before I got my green card, I was traveling from Atlanta to Poland. I bought a ticket through Toronto, Canada, and then it hit me: maybe I need a visa... Sure enough, I did! They wanted me to get a transit visa to stay at the freaking airport for 2 hours and 30 some minutes. Without leaving the "transit zone!" Didn't matter... As a citizen of Poland, I was required to get a visa, period. :mad: Needless to say, I canceled that ticket and got another one though JFK.

You'd be surprised what regulations some countries have...

To the thread-starter: if I were you, I'd check with the Swiss authorities. Usually, it depends on the particular country and on where you are from...

Ok, so I called Swiss Embassy, NY and spoke with Visa Consular directly.
She said I will require a transit visa to travel on AP via Zurich.
The reason being is even though I am on H1B, I do not have a valid H1B visa stamp on my passport and the airport authority in Zurich does not recognize AP document.
They need a visa stamp on the passport.
It takes 24 hours processing time for them to issue this transit visa.
It will be valid for 3 months, unlimited usage and it will cost $48.
Do not want to take any chances for $48, so will go and apply for it.

Hi,
Do you know if the transit visa is needed even while going from US to India (because for that direction i'll have Indian passport to show)..??

For returning back to US.. i guess if they can't accept AP as a valid doc for US.. then they might insist on visa..

I ask this because i dont have much days left before i leave so want to avoid the drive and trip to swiss consulate.. and i can get the transit visa in India for my return trip..

Also, in the swiss consulate here do they return the passport same day?

Also, i spoke to my tavel agent and he said he has confirmed with United (the light is United Swiss comb) that transit visa is not reqd if one has AP..
not sure why swiss is not recognizing it..

Please let me know if you have any info on the above..

thank you.

If you have a valid US visa sticker in your passport then the Swiss authorities waive the requirement for a transit visa.

Hi,
Do you know if the transit visa is needed even while going from US to India (because for that direction i'll have Indian passport to show)..??

Yeah that's the problem i don't have a valid US visa stamp.. but have AP..
So want to see if that is enough...

thanks!

Hi,

For returning back to US.. i guess if they can't accept AP as a valid doc for US.. then they might insist on visa..

I ask this because i dont have much days left before i leave so want to avoid the drive and trip to swiss consulate.. and i can get the transit visa in India for my return trip..

Also, in the swiss consulate here do they return the passport same day?

Also, i spoke to my tavel agent and he said he has confirmed with United (the light is United Swiss comb) that transit visa is not reqd if one has AP..
not sure why swiss is not recognizing it..

Please let me know if you have any info on the above..

thank you.

Go to the following link for visa requirements, it clearly states that Swiss airport authority does not recognize Travel documents, I-551 pending stamp etc. and you must obtain a transit visa:
http://www.eda.admin.ch/eda/en/home/reps/nameri/vusa/ref_visinf/visusa.html

The transit visa is valid for 3 months from the time of issue (unlimited trips to & from).
Obtaining the transit visa is a 24 hour process, meaning you submit your passport and pick-up the following day.
It is really easy and straight forward process. The staff is also very helpful and polite.
Make sure you fill the required form and print it, take all the required documents IN ORIGINAL including your AP and cash $48.
Generally, the travel agents are not aware of the transit visa requirements incase you are travelling on AP.

Your best bet will be to call Swiss Consulate between 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. and request to speak with Visa Consular and confirm with her/him before leaving.