traveling during application and GC expiring

hirohiro

Registered Users (C)
I am scheduled for the FP in early August with my GC expiring mid-November of this year.

Question 1: Do I need to apply for a GC renewal now in case the application approval lasts longer than the "typical" 5 month duration?

Question 2: Is there any consequence or rules of thumb against traveling abroad during the application process?

Thank you.

1. So you applied more than 6 months before the expiration of your GC? In that case, no need to renew.
2. No, you just need someone to inform you of the notices you get in the post. And, you qualify for an I551 stamp in your passport for after your GC expires and you still don't have citizenship so schedule an Infopass appt.

I appreciate your response.

I have not applied for a GC renewal yet as I (stupidly) figured that I'd get my citizenship approved by the time my GC expires.

It appears that I-551 (permanent resident status approval?) has no expiration so am I correct to understand that as long as the expiration date on the I-551 stamp is still valid, it doesn't matter if the GC itself is expired?

If so, I assume I don't need to go through the GC renewal process and I can simply wait for the citizenship process to complete.

I appreciate your help.

You still keep your LPR status if your GC has expired.

However, if you travel abroad you can't use the expired GC to reenter the US; you'll need an I-551 stamp, a new GC, or a reentry permit. And if your GC expires before the interview, a strict interviewer may demand that you apply for renewal, and suspend your case until you submit proof of applying for renewal.

Because it is less than 6 months remaining to your GC expiration, you don't qualify for free I-551 stamping. You'll need to apply for renewal if you want the stamp.

I think you misunderstood. What is the exact date you applied for citizenship, and what is the exact expiration date on your GC? If you applied for citizenship MORE than 6 months before the expiration of your GC, then you do NOT need to apply for a new GC, and you WILL qualify for an I551 stamp if you do not get citizenship before your GC expires.

The OP's GC expires in mid-November. 6 months before that is mid-May. If the FP appointment is in August, it's almost certain the N-400 was filed in June or July, which would be less than 6 months remaining on the GC.