Traveling Cathay Pacific on AP

san_1

Registered Users (C)
Hi Folks,

Does anyone has experience of traveling through Hong Kong on AP?

I will be traveling to Delhi and have a ~10 hr stop at Hong Kong. Any issues anyone is aware of?

Thanks.

what kinds of problem(s)???

I have travelled many times through Hongkong before/after being a US PR and have'nt experienced any problems (except avoided the whole SE sector during SAARS) - actually why should there be any problems and what's the relation with having any problems in HK and travelling on AP?????

I am assuming you would obviously be having a valid passport and no issues with your personal profile. Have a good trip!!

Cheers!!

Hi july25,

The main concerns I had were that my H1B Visa is expired and I am on AP/EAD.

It seems some places ( transit halts ) having only Advance Parole is not good enough as they are not sure what exactly it is and so some people recommend transit visas.
This was my concern. It seems you had no problems in the above scenario?

BTW, what is PR?

Thanks.

PR= Permanent Resident or Green Card Holder
Germany does not recognize Advance parole, UK does not recognize AP. New many needs transit Visa for UK also.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cms.dll/html/uncomp/articleshow?msid=234881
TIMES NEWS NETWORK[ WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 15, 2003 05:56:00 PM ]

NEW DELHI: To check the growing menace of illegal immigration, Britain has announced that Indians will need a Direct Transit Visa (DATV) from Thursday to travel through the country.

"It is a fact that there is a significant level of abuse of the UK immigration control committed by Indian nationals," British High Commission officials said.

Between January to June 2003 there is evidence to indicate that Indian nationals accounted for 40 per cent of cases where passengers able to transit the UK without a visa and who then sought to stay in Britain illegally or by making an asylum claim, involved Indian nationals, the High Commission said.

During 2002, around 2000 Indian nationals applied for asylum in the UK. Indications are that the number this year will be even higher, officials added.

In the same period, some 400 arrived without any documents and 270 plus using forged documents.

Indian nationals accounted for the highest number of asylum applications made on arrival in the UK.

The British Home Office announced that from 0001 BST (UK time) on 16 October apart from Indians, nationals of Pakistan, Bangladesh, Angola, Cameroon and Lebanon will need DATV to travel through the UK.

Previously nationals of these countries had required visas to visit the UK, but had been able to travel without one if they were passing through, within 24 hours, on their way to a third country.

A grace period for those who have already made their travel plans will operate until 23.59 hours on 20 October. Any transit passenger who bought their ticket on or before 15 October will not be refused entry solely on the basis of not holding a valid transit visa.

Home Office Minister Beverley Hughes said, "We are responding to intelligence that a growing number of nationals from these countries are using the transit route to flout our immigration controls and to enter the UK illegally or to make unfounded asylum applications."

"Today's announcement is part of a package of measures we are using to strengthen UK border controls abroad, including new screening technology and the better use of intelligence to break up gangs that profit from the trade in illegal immigrants. We are committed to making this process as straightforward as possible for genuine visitors," Hughes said.

However, he said the "UK is committed to a continued increase in the number of visitors and students from India."

"We can ensure that those who do not qualify under these waivers and who need to apply for a DATV can do so as smoothly as possible and at any of our 11 visa application collection offices across India at a cost of Rs 2150," he added.

In taking this step, Britain have looked for ways to ensure that it keeps to a minimum the number of passengers who require a DATV by waiving the requirement for Indian nationals in possession of a valid visa and ticket for Canada or the USA.

There is a relaxation also for those who possess a valid USA-1551 Permanent Residence Card (Green Card) issued on or after 21 April 1998 or a valid Canadian Permanent Resident Card issued on or after 28 June 2002. DATV is also not applicable to people with valid common format Category D visa for entry to an EEA State which is valid for more than three months.

Thanks ginnu for the pointer to the article.
This pretty much explains one of the reasons(not sure if any other) why a person might need transit Visa though it talks only about UK at this time.

kingno1, did you travel through HKG recently using AP?

No transit visa for UK

I travelled to India and came back on 12th Oct 2003 with AP. I flew via London and I was not asked for transit visa. I dont know if there is a new rule for requiring Transit Visa?

aravind741

check with the authorities

Dear san_1,

In case if you are not sure about the rules of any country requiring transit visas it is best to check directly from the concerned authorities. Countries change rules all the time and just going by peoples experiences in this case is probably not the safe approach as it depends on onces nationality etc.

In my case for example - I don't require a visa for travelling to HK - period so if I am on a US B1/H1/F1 or having GC/AP does not matter at all. What your US entry requirement is checked at the origin of your travel.

Cheers.

No need of AP for HK

San_1

I travelled via Hong Kong in August '03 on AP by Cathay Pacific. No need of a transit visa.

For Hong Kong and Singapore there is no need of transit visa, even if you are travelling on AP.

Transit through Paris

I am going to India through Paris on Air India in December 2003. I have Advance Parole from BCIS (I don't have a valid H1B in my passport). Do I need a trasit visa to pass through Paris (Stopping in Paris for 1 and 1/2 hrs each time). I would appreciate your input.
Thanks
Ravi.

Dear dm88md,

Thanks for the reply.

Dear july25,

Your first paragraph is indeed the correct thing to do. I was intending to do this anyway but your append is valuable in the sense it triggers me to get in action.

Regards 2nd paragraph, I did not think initially that any one who does not need visa in any case would share their experience. My question was intended for people who would normally need some Visa etc to enter HK or if they knew about it. Otherwise why would AP matter?
You seemingly interpreted the question in a different way :) . But I can still see some good coming out of it..

Cheers.
san_1