travel to India immediately after US oath ceremony

Rattancode

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I need to travel to India and be there for a month. My US citizen oath ceremony is scheduled. I plan to travel to India immediateky after this. What is the best kind of Indian visa that I can obtain?
My Indian passport has just got expired.

-thanks
-rttncde

Thanks, after looking at various responses, I see that I have two options
1)postpone the oath ceremony, validate (renew) my Indian passport, and travel to India as an Indian citizen.

This can take about 3 weeks.

2)immediately after the oath ceremony, secure a US passport, renounce the Indian passport and apply for a visiting visa to India (OCI will take more time).

I don't know how long this step would take. How early can I obtain a US passport after the oath ceremony? How quickly can I renounce my Indian passport and get a visiting visa? Should I get an appointment with the Indian consulate already? What are the implications of traveling to India and being there (actually I am consulting for a company there for a month) on a visiting visa?

You can get a same day US passport depending on what time you leave the oath ceremony. Worst case scenario the day after. You will need to show proof of you travel to get it within 24 hrs though.

You can get a same-day passport if you have a flight (if need be, book a refundable flight for the next morning). Then, have an appointment ready at the Indian consulate and renounce and apply for a tourist visa simultaneously and expedite if possible.

You can get a same-day passport if you have a flight (if need be, book a refundable flight for the next morning).

Booking a next day flight would be advisable only if OP really has to travel the next day. Booking a mock flight frivolously could be viewed as bordering on the fraudulent if booked merely to obtain a visa.

Any declared emergency should be a real one!