Travel to India: Catch 22 Situation

Of course you need to renounce/surrender if you want entry visa but a friend did this a year back and I believe travisa + SF consulate would let you do this in parallel as long as the docs (old passport) were submitted (in SF's control). I just saw a thread that travisa is out and someone else is doing the outsourcing - so things may have changed in other ways too. However, no harm in trying.

Actually looking into my emails - this gentleman did his parallel entry/renunciation in January so just 7-8 months back. For OCI they need originals, so he had to get a friend collect renunciation in US and get that shipped to India. Otherwise needed a round trip.

Off Topic - Re welcome back ... I moved to India after USC ... it was august 4 years back as you can see from the name. Now back in other way also - returned to US earlier this year. Not sure if I will revisit this forum much. Maybe a couple of days to say hi. Saw BobSmyth has not posted in a year. Anyways....

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can document the urgency of your visit, you could be issued with the renunciation certificate quickly. It depends on the Indian officials.

An entry visa would be quickest, and if you'll be in India for a couple of months, you can get OCI there.

Thanks for all the answers.

the new agency is BLS international in NYC

Does anyone have any experience with them in terms of how long they will take to issue Renunciation certificate + PIO card if I show urgency to visit India ?

I have a 11 am appointment in NYC for oath.
Is it prudent to take a 4 pm appointment for US passport on that same day ?

Finally, If Entry Visa is faster and I use it to come to India : How long will it take to get a PIO in India ?

Thanks.

This is old knowledge, but PIO used to be a month and OCI 2 months if no issues - this is if you directly go to FRRO/MHA and avoid the mailing. Add a month if you run into issues. Mailing add another month - I went to MHA personally a month after mailing it in and there was a pile of files just sitting, had to pay for someone to dig through them.

11 AM oath ==> 1 PM max you will be done ==> 4 PM passport agency - as long as they give you the appointment, might be just time for closing. Anyways whether you reach 3 or 4, passport will be given 1030 (or later) next day.

From what I recall, they were not very strict about 4 PM being 4 PM as long as you had the appointment you can land up early and they will see you as soon as they can. 4 PM appointment is just for entry (with security) - after that another line will give you token for taking applications.

Again ... old information, so double check.

Thanks for the info.
I need PIO as I am in India on an assignment for my US employer.

After I get my passport, how should I plan for my expedited PIO card appointment in NYC ?
How soon can I get one ?

The other option is to get entry visa in NYC and get PIO in India.
But I dont know if there is an expedited PIO service in India ?

Thank you so much for your help.

Also, does anyone know if i can apply in any regional passport agency or do i have to apply in NYC ?
I am not getting an appointment on the next day in ny.

Also, does anyone know if we can use the after hours emergency passport phone number : 2026474000 ?

Thanks again

You can also just show up at the passport agency in NY. I saw people doing that when I went there.

What I meant was, why even consider PIO when you ought to be going for OCI? PIO costs more and lasts only 15 years, and requires registration. OCI lasts your entire life and requires no registration, and even costs less. The only upside for PIO in this scenario is I think it comes quicker (maybe in a couple of weeks?).

Thanks.

Yes, timeline is most important to me.
Can anyone please share their experience of expedite PIO timeline in NYC ?

I took an appointment in a different regional passport office as I got their sooner.

Thanks

I have another question :

I cannot get an immediate appointment in NYC BLS International for PIO card. I am getting after a couple of weeks.

Does anyone know if I have to take an appointment in BLS NYC office if I am a resident of NY ?

OR can I take an appointment at BLS Washington office ?

Thanks for all your help.