travel to india after applying for OPT but before it is approved

nz36b9

Let me first give you a background of the situation I am in. I am a student on F-1 visa and currently doing Masters in University of Rochester. I am in my final semester now and the last day of classes is April 15th. I have applied for my OPT today. I need to be in India for family reasons between April 15th and April 30th and then come back to the U.S. Since my course will be over by then, I am planning to re-enter U.S using the OPT card. I am hoping to receive my OPT card in 2nd week of April before I go to India, in which case I will not have a problem.

Now, here is my question. Can I travel to India even if I do not receive my OPT card by April 15th and and come back to the U.S after the I receive my OPT card? I can ask my friends here in the U.S to mail my OPT card to India as soon as it arrives at my U.S address.

Thanks in advance for your input/help.

Its a gray area. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes they will ask you at the POE where you work (even though technically its ok not to have a job and just to enter to search for one). You are taking a risk (even though probably not a nig one).

I am not worried about having a job offer letter in hand. I am pretty confident that I will be able to get one before I go to India. My worry is the risk of going to India without the OPT being approved.

Did you eventually travel before you got your OPT? I'm in a similar situation, can you please share your experience.

Thanks

woof_326,
Would you be able to re-enter the States with your EAD and job offer letter?
I am having a similar situation here and have to decide whether or not to leave the States under OPT.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: