Travel restrictions during citizenship process

bltzkrig

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I and my wife became LPRs in Sep 2005. I am considering starting the US citizinship process, and I was wondering if there are any travel restrictions once the process begins. If so, in which phase of the process? I normally need to travel outside the US about once in 2 months (1 week trips). I live in the Los Angeles area. Thanks!

Your travel plan will not cause any problem for your citizenship application. There are no restrictions to travel. You will have to report any updates to the travel information provided in N-400 (at the time of interview or oath).

There is no travel restriction. But be sure you are available for FP, Interview and Oath at appointed dates. Not that these dates cannot be changed. You can request for it. But it unnecessarily delays the whole process and my advise is stick to the dates. Normally for FP you get 2-4 weeks notice and for interview 3-5 weeks notice. Oath varies from place to place and in LA they have big oath ceremony and you will get enough notice.

There is no absolute restriction saying you can't travel during the process, but you are required to maintain continuous residence until the oath, and excessive travel can jeopardize that.

Hi,
I and my wife became LPRs in Sep 2005. I am considering starting the US citizinship process, and I was wondering if there are any travel restrictions once the process begins. If so, in which phase of the process? I normally need to travel outside the US about once in 2 months (1 week trips). I live in the Los Angeles area. Thanks!

As long as you were here for 30 Months out of the last 60 months it will be ok on the application, Interview and Oath date.

Re: travel restrictions

Thanks a lot for the quick answers. It helps to know I can travel as long as I can keep the appointments.

I just checked and I have over 30 overseas trips in the period from Oct '05 to now, most, about a week and none longer than 3 weeks. Barring a handful of personal trips, they've all been work related. I assume I have nothing to worry about as long as I furnish the trip details and show US ties etc.?

Also, any estimate of how soon to expect the FP, Interview and Oath dates once I apply? I looked but couldn't find a recent tracker for LA. Thanks very much!

30 trips of 1 week each (give or take) is not an issue. I do not think there is even a question of showing US ties .. you live in US.