Travel out of country after N-400 Interview

Katy101

Hello All,

Can I travel out of country after N-400 Interview and before Oath for a period of 3-4 weeks ? My application is filed in Houston,Tx.

Thanks in advance.

Please keep in mind that your oath letter can come at anytime after your interview - even just 3-4 weeks after the interview.

I am in the same situation that I need to travel for about 2 weeks between interview and oath. Any risk?

Thanks.

I am in the same situation that I need to travel for about 2 weeks between interview and oath. Any risk?

Thanks.

That question was definitively answered in the second posting in this thread.

What's important to remember is that until you take the oath, you remain a LPR, with all the same travel freedoms & restrictions that normally apply. You must also continue to abide by the naturalization requirements for physical presence, & continuous residence. In addition to that, it pays to have someone check your mail because you really don't want to miss the oath appointment if the letter comes through with only a short wait-time.

I traveled to Canada (by car) between my interview and oath. It was for a week only and someone was checking my mail for the oath invitation. You can travel, just make sure someone checks your mail and be prepared to return on a short notice.

Can I travel out of country after N-400 Interview and before Oath for a period of 3-4 weeks ?

It can be re-scheduled. However it is in the best interest of the applicant to make the original oath date unless it is a life and death emergency.

What will happen if you were to miss the Oath ? Can it not be re-scheduled ?

Thanks.

It will be considered abandoned and then you will have to start from the very start all over again with a new fee. Starting over means submitting the form, finger printing, interview and of course the entire waiting time. You do NOT want to miss the oath. Missing the trip is better then missing the Oath...

It will be considered abandoned and then you will have to start from the very start all over again with a new fee. Starting over means submitting the form, finger printing, interview and of course the entire waiting time. You do NOT want to miss the oath. Missing the trip is better then missing the Oath...

Warlord,
It can be rescheduled. While that may cause delay, it is not like you have to restart everything from the beginning.