Travel on one valid AP, return on renewed one?

jk0274

Registered Users (C)
Hello all,

I am not planning any travel but would like clarification on the following scenarios since I can't find convincing data elsewhere, in case I do need to travel:

1- If I have a valid AP that will expire in April 08, and I apply for a renewal AP in January, can I still travel on the old one before it expires while the renewal application is pending? Or does submitting a new application invalidate the AP I have now?

2- Assuming I can travel in the scenario above and the renewal AP application is approved while I am still abroad (and my old one is still valid of course), can I have the new one sent to me and stay abroad longer? Or must I return to the US before the date that the original AP expires because that's what I used to travel?

Any knowledgeable insight will be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

Q1, absolutely yes. New application will not invalidate your old one.
Q2, you are supposed to use the same AP in and out. But last time , when I came back to US, the officer took my new AP, I told her I should use the old one ( I wanted to keep the new AP unused for more trips) and she finally agreed.

In the case-old AP expired when outside US and come back with new AP, it'll be risky, but not sure what will happen.

Hello all,

I am not planning any travel but would like clarification on the following scenarios since I can't find convincing data elsewhere, in case I do need to travel:

1- If I have a valid AP that will expire in April 08, and I apply for a renewal AP in January, can I still travel on the old one before it expires while the renewal application is pending? Or does submitting a new application invalidate the AP I have now?

2- Assuming I can travel in the scenario above and the renewal AP application is approved while I am still abroad (and my old one is still valid of course), can I have the new one sent to me and stay abroad longer? Or must I return to the US before the date that the original AP expires because that's what I used to travel?

Any knowledgeable insight will be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

If the new AP approved while you are abroad still, you have to return back during the validity of the current AP