Travel, H1-B/I-94 expiring soon

danmagaji

Registered Users (C)
My H1-b/ I-94 are expiring Dec 21, 2005. This is my first and i'll be renewing. Is it ok if i travel outside late november 2005? Want to know if there would be any issues with airport immigration while coming back with the expiry date coming soon.
Thanks for you time

danmagaji said:
My H1-b/ I-94 are expiring Dec 21, 2005. This is my first and i'll be renewing.
Is it ok if i travel outside late november 2005?
------------- you should be back to US BEFORE your H1 stamp expires ( I will come back 15 days before December 21,2005 so that once I enter US I will get I-94 for 15 days and lawyer/employer should keep extension filing papers ready and second day when I arrive will give the copy of I-94 and request the lawyer to file H1 extension)
OR
file H1 extension with premium processing and you will get extension approved in 15-20 days and if your visa stamp is valid when you reach POE then show passport visa stamp AND H1 extension approval and you will get I-94 till H1 ext

Want to know if there would be any issues with airport immigration while coming back with the expiry date coming soon.

---------- better reach early so that lawyer gets time to send documents for H1 extension and extension must reach USCIS Before I-94 gets expired

Thanks for you time

Thanks 4 ur replies.

I plan on returning Nov 28th. I will take your advice and have my lawyer prepare the paperwork now for H1-B extension so that we can file the last week of Nov, 2005.

Do i need to get a USCIS approval b4 my H1-visa/I-94 expiry date (12/21/2005)?

Do you also advice that i carry a letter from my employer stating that they will be filing the H1-ext to show to airport immigration officials? I want to be prepared should they question the fact that i will be having only three weeks left on my visa/I-94.

I know my travel timing is bad, but i have a family wedding to attend!!

danmagaji said:
Thanks 4 ur replies.

I plan on returning Nov 28th.
--------- your Visa stamp is going to expire Dec 21 and you will get I-94 till Dec21, you have enough time to file H1 extension
I will take your advice and have my lawyer prepare the paperwork now for H1-B extension so that we can file the last week of Nov, 2005.
-------- that is better
Do i need to get a USCIS approval b4 my H1-visa/I-94 expiry date (12/21/2005)?
---------- NO, you have valid visa till Dec21, you NEED to file H1 Extension BEFORE the I-94(that you will get when enter on 28 nov) expires
Do you also advice that i carry a letter from my employer stating that they will be filing the H1-ext to show to airport immigration officials?
---------- you can take the letter if you wish , POE officer will not ask for that letter you have enough time on Visa when come back
I want to be prepared should they question the fact that i will be having only three weeks left on my visa/I-94.
-------------- not a problem, they know one can file H1 extension next day after entry to US
I know my travel timing is bad, but i have a family wedding to attend!!

Or you can also get a premium processing done for your extension now ...you will have the extension papers in hand before you leave.

similar situation

Hi,

I have a similar problem. The date stamped on my passport is Jan 10, 2006. My H 1 has been extended till September, 2006... but that is by a different employer as I joined a new company recently. I would like to go to India by the last week of december and return a few days before Jan 10 (maybe jan 4th or 5th). Do you think there will be any problems when I enter as the stamp in passport shows one employer and my h1 papers show another and also I am entering just 5 days before the stamp date. Will it be enough to show my extension till september 2006?

Thank you