Travel Experience with PP stamp,anyone?

arin_muk

Registered Users (C)
My wife will be travelling to India once we get our PP stamped for GC.

She would be travelling with Air India to Calcutta via Mumbai.

I have seen several inqueries about whether or not we can travel with I-551 stamp.

I was wondering if someone could share his/her travel experience with just the stamp and not the "plastic" like user dnaach has done.

What documents should she carry?

Any possibility that she could run into a problem in India or at POE??

Please advice.
Thanks in advance.

To the best of my knowledge, the I-551 is just the same as the plastic. No further documents are required because the A # is all what the INS officer @ the POE checks.

However, in countries you travel on transit, folks may not be convinced and so, do your homework and carry other docs that show US residence like bills.

Good Luck!

I don't have the original i-485 notice . It was taken by the IIO when I got my PP stamped.
I have the courtesy copy.
Is that good enough?

Last edited by a moderator:
2nd photo identity along with passport might be asked for

My wife returned to the US in July, 2001 with a I-551 stamp. She was asked for a second photo identity. She did not have any. So she was refererred for secondary inspection. She showed the officer our marriage certificate. I think she was also carrying photocopies of our green card application, but that was not needed.

In short, see if your wife can carry some sort of secondary photo identity like a driver's license. At least, she should have the marriage certificate.

Thanks

My wife is already in India by this time. She has a US driver's license. I think post 9/11 everybody has to go for 2ndary inspection. She did not take the original marriage certificate with her ..she is carrying a copy..hope is suffices.

I travelled to India and back on the I-551 stamp

My wife and daughter returned separately

The Immigration Officer in India asked for the Green Card but when I showed the I-551 stamp he was satisfied.
Same for My wife and daughter

At the US Immigration office the following happened

Because we did not have the Physical Green card we were asked to go to a separate counter (I think it was counter no 1)

The officer asked a few questions

a) How long have u left the country
b) what is your date of birth
c) what is your mother's maiden name
d) what is your social security number

These are all the questions he asked me

when my wife and daughter came he asked the same questions.

This happened around September 2002