travel document and passport

happyme11

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys,

My father is very sick and i have to go see him. I haven't see him for 14 years because of my GC situation. now I got a GC under Political asylum. I just renew my NP and applied for travel document surprisely they send me Travel document with in 2 weeks. I know what is about the fact sheet but I am going to take the risk. what do you guys think do you think they deport me from airport when I came back? or what? I will bring all the documents like my dad is in a hospital..etc please advice me what is going to happen to me beside the question at airport?

last question should I use my passport or my travel document?

thank you so much

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sorry to hear that. If I were you I will go. You are not going for vacations but to see your Father. Just bring all the documents you mentioned. I think you have to use your NP, I do not think you can use RTD to go to your country (I am not sure). For sure you will have in your record that you visited your COP but you have a very strng reason. Good luck, Cl.

Ahhh! I forgot to mention. Do not worry about the airport. Just answer what the officer ask you, he will let you in for sure. This issue may be arise again in your citizenship interview, but just keep the documents with you.

I am sorry to hear that. If I were you I will go. You are not going for vacations but to see your Father. Just bring all the documents you mentioned. I think you have to use your NP, I do not think you can use RTD to go to your country (I am not sure). For sure you will have in your record that you visited your COP but you have a very strng reason. Good luck, Cl.

thank you Cl_Asylee, but if I use my NP isn't bad Idea? because I renew my passport without knowing. I heared if you are aslylee you can't renew your passport. so I should use my passport right?

thank you Cl_Asylee, but if I use my NP isn't bad Idea? because I renew my passport without knowing. I heared if you are aslylee you can't renew your passport. so I should use my passport right?

You are not an asylee. You WERE an asylee. You are a Permanent Resident and its 14 years since you visited. ITs a long time since you applied for asylum and things might have changed.

Use your NP. Do not use your RTD & NP together. You cant use both at the same time.

Just in case you have problems, keep the history of your visit and what it was for and any evidence.

You are not an asylee. You WERE an asylee. You are a Permanent Resident and its 14 years since you visited. ITs a long time since you applied for asylum and things might have changed.

Use your NP. Do not use your RTD & NP together. You cant use both at the same time.

Just in case you have problems, keep the history of your visit and what it was for and any evidence.

I came here turist visa than I chnged F1 visa that time it was a problem in my country and I want to go to school the but the tution was expensive i couldn't afford it and I ask a poltical asylee based on true story and they approved me 2002. now I graduated and I am working here. I never went home since I came here.my queastion is if I tell them things are changed in my country they are not forceing me to go back to my country?

Hi guys,

My father is very sick and i have to go see him. I haven't see him for 14 years because of my GC situation. now I got a GC under Political asylum. I just renew my NP and applied for travel document surprisely they send me Travel document with in 2 weeks. I know what is about the fact sheet but I am going to take the risk. what do you guys think do you think they deport me from airport when I came back? or what? I will bring all the documents like my dad is in a hospital..etc please advice me what is going to happen to me beside the question at airport?

thank you so much

I'm sorry about your father, hope gets better soon.
I have a trip next month (not COP) and I went yesterday infopass to ask for my RTD that has not arrived yet; weird thing i got to sit with two IO (one supervisor and officer) at the same time, fist thing they told me that I dont need RTD (since I have a valid national passport) to travel, and that i'm free to travel anywhere in the world but my COP. "That the only two reasons that USCIS will accept from me as not fraud will be the death of mother or father. No sick family, no cousin, no aunt........Nothing else is a valid reason to travel to COP for them". Of course just two months ago, at the same office in Miami other officer told me to get RTD to be safe on my trip. So you never know with those guys.:confused:

I'm sorry about your father, hope gets better soon.
I have a trip next month (not COP) and I went yesterday infopass to ask for my RTD that has not arrived yet; weird thing i got to sit with two IO (one supervisor and officer) at the same time, fist thing they told me that I dont need RTD (since I have a valid national passport) to travel, and that i'm free to travel anywhere in the world but my COP. "That the only two reasons that USCIS will accept from me as not fraud will be the death of mother or father. No sick family, no cousin, no aunt........Nothing else is a valid reason to travel to COP for them". Of course just two months ago, at the same office in Miami other officer told me to get RTD to be safe on my trip. So you never know with those guys.:confused:

DID YOU TELL THE OFFICERS YOU ARE A PERMANENT RESIDENT WITH GC?

I know I get different answer from different people. I went to INS office before i applied for travel documents and they told me I shouldn't have a problem to go to my country since I have a green card, but other people says another thing and you can see the fact sheet also. it's so sad they tell you that if your father and mother died you will be safe. what about if you go your country and save you father life insteted waiting until he die? I think I am going to use my NP not my RTD. another idea? should I care both documents with me or should I keep one home?
thanks

DID YOU TELL THE OFFICERS YOU ARE A PERMANENT RESIDENT WITH GC?
Yes, actually it was the first document that i gave to them and the I-797 for the RTD. I also ask them why in my last infopass appointment the other officer advice me to get RTD just to be safe, different of what they say?
Their answer was that now they have better acknowledge of the new rules for asylum, refugee and GC; due to internal updates and fact sheets. I did not ask more because it was enough asnwer for my matter of RTD. If i get it before travel, then o.k. if not i'll just go with my GC and NP.

Last Year I went to infopass interview twice asking the same question and always the IO's told me "you are no longer an asylee" "now you are a Permanent Resident and you can travel where you want" "If you have a valid passport of your Country, you don't need any document like RTD, what you need is just your NP and your GC". I know a lot of people who traveled to their COP this year using just GC and NP and no one got a problem when they came back.I think you can travel to see your father without problem.

Travelco

Last Year I went to infopass interview twice asking the same question and always the IO's told me "you are no longer an asylee" "now you are a Permanent Resident and you can travel where you want" "If you have a valid passport of your Country, you don't need any document like RTD, what you need is just your NP and your GC". I know a lot of people who traveled to their COP this year using just GC and NP and no one got a problem when they came back.I think you can travel to see your father without problem.

Travelco

ok I am going to use MY NP not the RTD

thank you guys

I will update you when I came back

ok I am going to use MY NP not the RTD

thank you guys

I will update you when I came back

BEST OF LUCK. When are you leaving? For what I have heard you will be fine, IF ANY problem it will be in citizenship interview, but I think you have a strong reason to go to COP.

Hi guys,

thank you so much

Make sure you keep all the documentary evidence relating to the purpose of the trip.

good luck.

Happyme, gave us a shout when you're back

Make sure you keep all the documentary evidence relating to the purpose of the trip.

good luck.

Hello all,

These discussion helps me a lot and I don't feel miserable alone because of the dilema my dad sick and have to go back to COP. I'm planing to go back somewhere in October and still have a lot of doubt, very tiring. anyway, Happy me, hope things go well and gave us a shout how did your travel go regarding leaving and re-enter both USA and COP Immigration at the airport (if you don't mind). Take care, guys.

Sorry to hear about your dad. I understand your feeling. What about you take both NP and RTD and Just show RTD when you get back to US airport. Would it be a problem?