Travel after Interview & Oath till we get US passport

lukizen

Registered Users (C)
Can one travel on an Indian passport after Interview & Oath.
After Oath to get US passport might take 2-6weeks.
Until we get the American passport can one travel using Indian passport.
I understand that once we get the US passport we should surrender the Indian passport but until then can we use Indian passport to travel.
I mean even after Interview and Oath till we get US passport in hand.

I understand we lose your Indian citizenship upon acquiring US citizenship. Therefore at the time you take the oath our Indian passport will be invalid for travel, as one is no longer Indian citizen or does our Indian passport become invalid the moment we get US passport.

I heard that if travel is urgent during this period, you can apply and get passport the same day (or next day) by showing travel tickets (Journey should be within 2 weeks?) Does anyone know the steps to get passport the same day. Web link would be great.

Also, if you travel on your passport from your prior nationality, you would have problems getting back into the country most likely. If you've sent off your certificate to the passport agency then you would have no evidence of citizenship. If you've retained your certificate, I doubt immigration at the airport would be very impressed with you trying to get back in with it and no US passport. Same day passport seems the best option, if you can't walk in yourself you can send it to a company that will do it for you - around $500 total.

Simply put, it's illegal to travel on your Indian passport after the oath as India does not recognize dual citizenship.

You are in San Jose. if you get an appt to the san francisco office, take caltran and you get same day passport.

Simply put, it's illegal to travel on your Indian passport after the oath as India does not recognize dual citizenship.

Also, even if India were a country that recognized dual citizenship, it is illegal for a US citizen to leave/re-enter the US without a valid US passport.

As other poster have correctly stated, after you take your citizenship oath, you will need a US passport to travel internationally. Remember, as well as getting oyur new passport, you may need time to get any appropriate visa's before travel also.