Travel after applying for 485

sr2610

Registered Users (C)
Guys,

Today my Attorney mailed our 140/485 docs to USCIS, we need to go to India in next 1 or 2 weeks for personal reasons. I know you have to be in US while applying for 485, but what is the best time to leave country?

We applied from Texas, I belive all aplications are going to NSC and routed to different centers. When we are going to get receipts? After NSC receives it or the application gets to another center(TSC??).

Is it safe to make travel arrangements around Dec 15-20th and wait on lawyer for Receipt Info?

We have our H1&H4 expired, but got renewal papers. Planning to go for stamping in India, with out waiting for AP.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-SR

From what I can say since you have nothing approved as yet...you should be okay to travel....travel is an issue for adjustment of status not for I-140 (correct me anyone if I am straying).....so I feel since you at least have like a month before they even think about deciding on your I-140....you should be fine if you go and come back before they approve your 140 and send you the receipt of 485....(probably a problem in concurrent filing)......

Thanks kulbikr!!

Yes, 140 is nothing to do with leaving the country, but I believe 485 is. You cannot apply for 485 with out a valid I-94, that means you need to be in the country.

We want to make sure that our current I94 gets in to our application and we don't mess it up by leaving the country before we get 485 receipt.

And from Gurus on this forum, I want to know when can we expect receipt and what is the best time to leave with out jeopardizing the 485 application.

-SR

If you receive notice for finger printing and miss your appointment when you travel, then that can set back your application from what I have heard. Better check this.

sr2610 said:
Thanks kulbikr!!

Yes, 140 is nothing to do with leaving the country, but I believe 485 is. You cannot apply for 485 with out a valid I-94, that means you need to be in the country.

We want to make sure that our current I94 gets in to our application and we don't mess it up by leaving the country before we get 485 receipt.
------------ go agter you get I-485 filing reciept (kepp checking bank record if USCIS has cashed fee checks) Keep the copy of I-94(front and back) for your immigration records
And from Gurus on this forum, I want to know when can we expect receipt and what is the best time to leave with out jeopardizing the 485 application.
-------------reciept may take 15-20 days and will come to lawyer office
-SR