Translation Question

jasonb

Registered Users (C)
All,
Got a birth cert. in original language and am looking for a translator service to translate it to English. It doesn't come cheap.... around $120.

Do I have to use one of these translator services? Or can I do it myself? I am sure I can technically do it myself but will it be considered valid or legal or certified in the eyes of I/O??

Thoughts??

cheers,
jasonb

Birth certificates are rarely requested for N-400 applicants since as a part of green card process USCIS already has birth related info. If you have copies of birth related documentation submitted for green card application you can use those copies if you are ever asked.

I translated my diploma for my green card application myself (in 2001 I think) and then notarized it with declaration that I certify that is true translation of the original. It was enough for INS back then. Not sure if it is going to be enough now.

All,
Got a birth cert. in original language and am looking for a translator service to translate it to English. It doesn't come cheap.... around $120.

Do I have to use one of these translator services? Or can I do it myself? I am sure I can technically do it myself but will it be considered valid or legal or certified in the eyes of I/O??

Thoughts??

cheers,
jasonb

Seems like a lot of money... I suggest you do a bit of research, I am sure you'd find it for much less... try community based services.

As nkm-oct23 said, there is no need to produce birth certificate for citizenship interview.

I dont think u need it , i just had my intrview and the IO didt ask for .
But if u must have it .. this wht i did .. i'm orginaly from Jordan so i Called my brother and told him to get me Birth Cert and then email it to me ..it took him less than 3 days and in my country they do give the birth certt in orginal language and also in english . so ididt have to transulate it .. so if ur country do same and u have people can do it then email it to you and u print it out . or they can translate it in your orginal country which might cheaper than here then email it back to you..

My understanding is that if you are fluent in English and your own language you can translate the documents yourself.
You need to attach a document declaring that it is an accurate translation.

Thanks all. I think I'll take my chances and translate the birth cert myself and make some declaration that it's accurate.

One more question: As long as I have my tax transcript from IRS for the last five years, I don't need to print the actual tax returns right? The actual tax returns for a single year (pdf file) is easily over 50 pages. The tax transcript from IRS is only 1 page per year so it's easier to bring.

Thanks all. I think I'll take my chances and translate the birth cert myself and make some declaration that it's accurate.

One more question: As long as I have my tax transcript from IRS for the last five years, I don't need to print the actual tax returns right? The actual tax returns for a single year (pdf file) is easily over 50 pages. The tax transcript from IRS is only 1 page per year so it's easier to bring.

Tax transcripts are sufficient.