Transit Visa

GC_NJ_USA

Registered Users (C)
I am travelling to India in November via Air India that stops for a couple of hours in London. Since I do not have my GC yet and I am on EAD, I need to get a transit visa. Has anyone had to get a transit visa in the past? I need the steps on how to get it - go to the UK embassy in NYC?? Online submission?? What all documents should I take with me?

Thanks in advance for your help

You need a transit visa only if you do not have a valid US visa in your passport. If you will be re-entering the US using advanced parole and do not have a H-1 stamp or an old (but still valid) B visa you will need a UK transit visa.

My daughter returned to the US on AP and her H4 had expired so she needed a transit visa. My wife and I (whose H1s have expired) returned on AP but had old but still valid B1 visas - so we did not need the transit visas.

You can apply online initially. It will then ask you to get your fingerprints done at a local location. This can take you 1- several weeks (as the fingerprints appear to be done at locations that do the GC fingerprints). Once the fingerprints are done, you can mail all the paperwork to the consulate or send it to some visa processing service that will charge you $50 per visa. Use the processing service only if you are in a rush.

Hope that helps.

buddy68

Thanks buddy68. Quick question - can I get the biometrics at the local police station? If not, how do I take an appointment at the local GC locations? Since I am in NJ, can I walk in to the immigration office at Newark and request for biometrics?

Thanks buddy68. Quick question - can I get the biometrics at the local police station? If not, how do I take an appointment at the local GC locations? Since I am in NJ, can I walk in to the immigration office at Newark and request for biometrics?

You should go to British Consulate site NYC and fill up the online application and follow the instructions. One need to for biometric at ASC (where Fingerprints are taken for I-485 or GC) Local Police station will not do fingerprinting for UK visa.

You do not need to go to the consulate

When you fill in your paperwork online, you will be given the fingerprint center that is closest to you and you will have to pick a date where time is available (and you are able to go). You will have to print out the application details and take to that fingerprint center on the date of the fingerprinting appointment. They will then stamp it or sign it (after your pirnts are done) and then give it back to you.
This should then be mailed to the consulate with all the other papers that they ask for.

buddy68

Thanks ginnu and buddy68. Appreciate your quick responses, I will go ahead and submit online papers and do the needful...

...And will get on to the most important task - USCIS have not yet approved my wife's AP which was filed about 4 months back (on June 17th). They cleared mine in August, but wife's is still pending. I have taken an infopass for tomorrow and lets hope they heed to my request. Her flight is reserved for november 28th.

Thanks ginnu and buddy68.

Appreciate your quick responses, I will go ahead and submit online papers and do the needful...
----------------------do that ASAP. I came to know from somebody that the earliest date for biometric one gets is 10-20 days away and then sending the paper work and then getting visa may take one month.

...And will get on to the most important task - USCIS have not yet approved my wife's AP which was filed about 4 months back (on June 17th). They cleared mine in August, but wife's is still pending. I have taken an infopass for tomorrow and lets hope they heed to my request. Her flight is reserved for november 28th.
------------------she should not leave before she gets AP in hand.

Update us regarding your UK visa exp.

UK Tranit Visa

Hi ginnu,

I have valid H1-B with expired visa and will be travelling from US to India via British Airways in Jan '09 with switching planes in London(LHR) . I'm planning to return to US via AP.

Could you pls post the link where I can fill the forms online for UK Transit visa.

Also, I have a Canadian PR and do I still need this UK Transit visa to travel to India inspite of having Canadian PR..Please let me know..

Thanks in Advance

Last edited by a moderator:
UK Transit Visa - step by step guide

Thought I should post a 'step by step' guide on the subject.

I was finally able to mail the documents on 10/31/08 and today (11/07/2008) I recd an email from UK embassy that they have approved my visa and have sent it via UPS. However, please note that it might take upto 10 WORKING DAYS for them to send back - so if you plan to have a transit visa - jump along NOW!!

Following are the steps to get a UK transit visa:

STEP 1: Application form
1. Go to the website: http://uk.visapro.com/S/Login.asp
2. Create your credentials and get ready to answer more than 100 questions!! (I have listed the questions below in this post)
3. Once you answer all the questions, REMEMBER to print the form. You will need that later in the process.
4. Once you pay and hit submit at the end of the form, the website will provide you location/s of your nearest ASC. You will be able to select the place, date and time per your convenience.

STEP 2: Biometrics
1. Be on time at the ASC.
2. Remember to take the forms you printed in the first step. The ASC will take your 10 finger biometric and a digital picture. Once they are done with the process (takes about 5-10 minutes), they will stamp and sign on the form you printed in step 1.

STEP 3: Mail your documents
1. You will need to mail the stamped and signed forms from step 2 above.
2. Include 2 passport size pictures (2X2).
3. Include your original passport (make sure it is valid for atleast 6 months and have sufficient pages for UK Consulate to stamp).
4. Include your ORIGINAL (yes, you heard me) work permit (EAD), Advance Parole (I-131).
5. Include a copy of your flight tickets, receipts, itinerary, etc.
6. Mail your documents in a bundle and send it to the UK embassy. (I did it via USPS with return receipt. I also included a prepaid return envelope, however they sent it via UPS in a diff envelope).

QUESTIONS

Section 1 - About You
1 Given name
2 Family name
3 Other names
4 Gender Male
5 Date of birth
6 Place of birth
7 Country of birth
8 Do you hold any other nationalities?
9 What is your marital status?

Section 2 - Passport Information
10 Current passport or travel document number
11 Place of issue
12 Issuing authority
13 Date of issue
14 Date of expiry
15 Is this your first passport
16 You stated that you have got a previous passport. Passport or travel document number(if known)
17 Place of issue (if known)
18 Where is this passport

Section 3 - Your Contact Details
19 Apt/Floor/Suite/Room/Street
20 City/Town/Village/Suburb/State/Province(where applicable)
21 Select the Country in which you live
22 Postal Code/Zip Code
23 How long have you lived at this address?
24 Home (landline) telephone number
25 Mobile telephone number
26 Will this be your contact details during the application process?

Section 4 - Your Family (Spouse, Partner, Civil Partner)
27 Spouse/partner's given name
28 Spouse/partner's family name
29 Where is your spouse/partner now
30 Spouse/partner's date of birth
31 Spouse/partner's nationality
32 Will your spouse/partner be travelling with you?

Section 4 - Your Family
33 Do you have any children
34 How many children do you have?

Section 4 - Your Family (child 1)
35 Child's given name
36 Child's family name
37 Child's date of birth
38 Child's place of birth
39 Relationship to you
40 Child's Nationality
41 Please indicate whether they are travelling with you
42 Child's address details
43 Child's passport number

Section 4 - Your Family (child 2)
44 Child's given name
45 Child's family name
46 Child's date of birth
47 Child's place of birth
48 Relationship to you
49 Child's nationality
50 Please indicate whether they are travelling with you
51 Child's address details
52 Child's passport number

Section 4 - Your Family
53 Will any other children be travelling with you?

Section 4 - Your Family (Father)
54 Father's given name
55 Father's family name
56 Father's date of birth
57 Father's place and country of birth
58 Father's nationality/nationalities

Section 4 - Your Family(Mother)
59 Mother's given name
60 Mother's family name
61 Mother's date of birth
62 Mother's place and country of birth
63 Mother's nationality/nationalities

Section 5 - Immigration History
64 Have you ever travelled outside your country or residence‚ in the last 10 years?
65 Have you ever travelled to the UK‚ in the last 10 years?
66 Have you ever been refused a visa for the UK?
67 Have you ever been refused a visa for any country?
68 Have you been granted a UK visa in the last 10 years?
69 Have you been refused entry on arrival to the UK in the last 10 years?
70 Have you ever been deported‚ removed or otherwise required to leave the UK?
71 Have you ever been deported‚ removed or otherwise required to leave another country?
72 Have you made an application to the Home Office to remain in the UK in the last 10 years?
73 Do you have a UK National Insurance Number?
74 Do you have any criminal convictions in any country (including traffic offences)?
75 Have you ever been charged in any country with a criminal offence for which you have not yet been tried in the court (including traffic offences)?
76 In times of either peace or war have you‚ ever been involved in‚ or suspected of involvement in‚ war crimes‚ crimes against humanity or genocide?
77 Have you ever been involved in‚ supported‚ or encouraged terrorist activities in any country? Have you‚ ever been a member of‚ or given support to an organisation that has been concerned in terrorism?
78 Have you ever‚ by any means or medium‚ expressed views that justify or glorify terrorist violence or that may encourage others to terrorist acts or other serious criminal acts?
79 Have you engaged in any other activities that might indicate that you may not be considered a person of good character?
80 You stated that you had travelled outside your country. Please give the approximate date and duration and purpose of your stay/s
81 You stated that you had travelled to the UK. Please give the approximate date and duration and purpose of your stay
82 You stated that you had been granted a UK visa in the last 10 years. Please give the details e.g. date‚ purpose‚ duration‚ reference

Section 6 - Travel Plans
83 Why are you travelling through the UK?
84 Which country are you travelling to through the UK?
85 Which country is your final destination?
86 Why are you going to the above country?
87 Do you have a visa or residence permit for your destination once you leave the UK?
88 Have you confirmed your travel plans to and from of the UK?
89 You stated that you have confirmed your travel plans. Please provide details
90 You stated that you have a visa for the country you are travelling to after the UK. What is the visa or permit number
91 Place of issue
92 Date of issue
93 Date of expiry

Section 6 - Travel Plans(Outward Bound)
94 Date of arrival in the UK
95 At which UK airport will you land
96 Flight number
97 Date of departure from the UK. You must depart the same day that you arrive.
98 From which UK airport will you leave the UK. You must depart from the same airport that you arrived.
99 Flight number

Section 6 - Travel Plans(Inward Bound)
100 Will you travel through the UK on your return?

Section 6 - Current Finances and Employment
101 Are you unemployed‚ employed‚ or self-employed?
102 You stated that you are employed/self employed.
What is your present job or occupation?
103 What is the name of the company you work for?
104 When did you start this job?
105 Please provide your work address details
106 What are your employer's telephone numbers? Landline telephone number
107 Mobile telephone number
108 What is your employer's e-mail address?
109 Do you have any other source of income from a second job or occupation?
110 Your total monthly income from all sources of work or employment after tax

Section 6 - Current Employment and Finances
111 Do you receive income from any other sources‚ including friends or family?
112 Do you have savings‚ properties or other income‚ for example‚ from stocks and shares?
113 You stated that you have savings‚ property or income. Please give details
114 If someone other than yourself is paying for all or any part of this visit‚ how much will they give you?
115 What is the cost to you personally‚ of this trip?

Section 7 - Additional Information
116 Is there any other information you wish to be considered as part of your application?

Thought I should post a 'step by step' guide on the subject.

I was finally able to mail the documents on 10/31/08 and today (11/07/2008) I recd an email from UK embassy that they have approved my visa and have sent it via UPS. However, please note that it might take upto 10 WORKING DAYS for them to send back - so if you plan to have a transit visa - jump along NOW!!

Following are the steps to get a UK transit visa:

STEP 1: Application form
1. Go to the website: http://uk.visapro.com/S/Login.asp
2. Create your credentials and get ready to answer more than 100 questions!! (I have listed the questions below in this post)
3. Once you answer all the questions, REMEMBER to print the form. You will need that later in the process.
4. Once you pay and hit submit at the end of the form, the website will provide you location/s of your nearest ASC. You will be able to select the place, date and time per your convenience.

STEP 2: Biometrics
1. Be on time at the ASC.
2. Remember to take the forms you printed in the first step. The ASC will take your 10 finger biometric and a digital picture. Once they are done with the process (takes about 5-10 minutes), they will stamp and sign on the form you printed in step 1.

STEP 3: Mail your documents
1. You will need to mail the stamped and signed forms from step 2 above.
2. Include 2 passport size pictures (2X2).
3. Include your original passport (make sure it is valid for atleast 6 months and have sufficient pages for UK Consulate to stamp).
4. Include your ORIGINAL (yes, you heard me) work permit (EAD), Advance Parole (I-131).
5. Include a copy of your flight tickets, receipts, itinerary, etc.
6. Mail your documents in a bundle and send it to the UK embassy. (I did it via USPS with return receipt. I also included a prepaid return envelope, however they sent it via UPS in a diff envelope).

QUESTIONS

Section 1 - About You
1 Given name
2 Family name
3 Other names
4 Gender Male
5 Date of birth
6 Place of birth
7 Country of birth
8 Do you hold any other nationalities?
9 What is your marital status?

Section 2 - Passport Information
10 Current passport or travel document number
11 Place of issue
12 Issuing authority
13 Date of issue
14 Date of expiry
15 Is this your first passport
16 You stated that you have got a previous passport. Passport or travel document number(if known)
17 Place of issue (if known)
18 Where is this passport

Section 3 - Your Contact Details
19 Apt/Floor/Suite/Room/Street
20 City/Town/Village/Suburb/State/Province(where applicable)
21 Select the Country in which you live
22 Postal Code/Zip Code
23 How long have you lived at this address?
24 Home (landline) telephone number
25 Mobile telephone number
26 Will this be your contact details during the application process?

Section 4 - Your Family (Spouse, Partner, Civil Partner)
27 Spouse/partner's given name
28 Spouse/partner's family name
29 Where is your spouse/partner now
30 Spouse/partner's date of birth
31 Spouse/partner's nationality
32 Will your spouse/partner be travelling with you?

Section 4 - Your Family
33 Do you have any children
34 How many children do you have?

Section 4 - Your Family (child 1)
35 Child's given name
36 Child's family name
37 Child's date of birth
38 Child's place of birth
39 Relationship to you
40 Child's Nationality
41 Please indicate whether they are travelling with you
42 Child's address details
43 Child's passport number

Section 4 - Your Family (child 2)
44 Child's given name
45 Child's family name
46 Child's date of birth
47 Child's place of birth
48 Relationship to you
49 Child's nationality
50 Please indicate whether they are travelling with you
51 Child's address details
52 Child's passport number

Section 4 - Your Family
53 Will any other children be travelling with you?

Section 4 - Your Family (Father)
54 Father's given name
55 Father's family name
56 Father's date of birth
57 Father's place and country of birth
58 Father's nationality/nationalities

Section 4 - Your Family(Mother)
59 Mother's given name
60 Mother's family name
61 Mother's date of birth
62 Mother's place and country of birth
63 Mother's nationality/nationalities

Section 5 - Immigration History
64 Have you ever travelled outside your country or residence‚ in the last 10 years?
65 Have you ever travelled to the UK‚ in the last 10 years?
66 Have you ever been refused a visa for the UK?
67 Have you ever been refused a visa for any country?
68 Have you been granted a UK visa in the last 10 years?
69 Have you been refused entry on arrival to the UK in the last 10 years?
70 Have you ever been deported‚ removed or otherwise required to leave the UK?
71 Have you ever been deported‚ removed or otherwise required to leave another country?
72 Have you made an application to the Home Office to remain in the UK in the last 10 years?
73 Do you have a UK National Insurance Number?
74 Do you have any criminal convictions in any country (including traffic offences)?
75 Have you ever been charged in any country with a criminal offence for which you have not yet been tried in the court (including traffic offences)?
76 In times of either peace or war have you‚ ever been involved in‚ or suspected of involvement in‚ war crimes‚ crimes against humanity or genocide?
77 Have you ever been involved in‚ supported‚ or encouraged terrorist activities in any country? Have you‚ ever been a member of‚ or given support to an organisation that has been concerned in terrorism?
78 Have you ever‚ by any means or medium‚ expressed views that justify or glorify terrorist violence or that may encourage others to terrorist acts or other serious criminal acts?
79 Have you engaged in any other activities that might indicate that you may not be considered a person of good character?
80 You stated that you had travelled outside your country. Please give the approximate date and duration and purpose of your stay/s
81 You stated that you had travelled to the UK. Please give the approximate date and duration and purpose of your stay
82 You stated that you had been granted a UK visa in the last 10 years. Please give the details e.g. date‚ purpose‚ duration‚ reference

Section 6 - Travel Plans
83 Why are you travelling through the UK?
84 Which country are you travelling to through the UK?
85 Which country is your final destination?
86 Why are you going to the above country?
87 Do you have a visa or residence permit for your destination once you leave the UK?
88 Have you confirmed your travel plans to and from of the UK?
89 You stated that you have confirmed your travel plans. Please provide details
90 You stated that you have a visa for the country you are travelling to after the UK. What is the visa or permit number
91 Place of issue
92 Date of issue
93 Date of expiry

Section 6 - Travel Plans(Outward Bound)
94 Date of arrival in the UK
95 At which UK airport will you land
96 Flight number
97 Date of departure from the UK. You must depart the same day that you arrive.
98 From which UK airport will you leave the UK. You must depart from the same airport that you arrived.
99 Flight number

Section 6 - Travel Plans(Inward Bound)
100 Will you travel through the UK on your return?

Section 6 - Current Finances and Employment
101 Are you unemployed‚ employed‚ or self-employed?
102 You stated that you are employed/self employed.
What is your present job or occupation?
103 What is the name of the company you work for?
104 When did you start this job?
105 Please provide your work address details
106 What are your employer's telephone numbers? Landline telephone number
107 Mobile telephone number
108 What is your employer's e-mail address?
109 Do you have any other source of income from a second job or occupation?
110 Your total monthly income from all sources of work or employment after tax

Section 6 - Current Employment and Finances
111 Do you receive income from any other sources‚ including friends or family?
112 Do you have savings‚ properties or other income‚ for example‚ from stocks and shares?
113 You stated that you have savings‚ property or income. Please give details
114 If someone other than yourself is paying for all or any part of this visit‚ how much will they give you?
115 What is the cost to you personally‚ of this trip?

Section 7 - Additional Information
116 Is there any other information you wish to be considered as part of your application?

This is just ridiculous requirements only to get transit visa.

Tell me about it!! All that and about $150 per person (visa fee itself is about 100 bucks, plus pictures/bio/USPS, etc.)

Your information is really useful because in one or other way lot of people have no option other than getting transit visa. I don't mean that. Only thing the requirements for trnsit visa such as answering that many 150 questions and sending all originals.. all those kind of things.... anyway your posting will definitly help lot of people here.

UK Transit Visa

Thanks buddy68 for providing the Direct Airside Transit Visa (DATV) exemptions link: http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/doineedvisa/visadatvnationals

I'm on H1 and travelling to India via London during Jan'09 and intend on using Advanced Parole(AP) while returning to US. According to the following list since I qualify and have a valid Canadian PR card I will not spend extra $150 to get the UK Transit Visa.

Anyone who had similar experiences travelling using AP and having Canadian PR please post your experiences in London Heathrow airport (LHR) so I can skip this whole process of getting a DATV visa?

Passengers exempt from the DATV requirement

Holders of certain documents are, regardless of nationality, exempt from the requirement to hold a Direct Airside Transit Visa when transiting the UK.A transit passenger is not required to hold a transit visa if he holds or a person with whom he arrives in the United Kingdom holds on his behalf

A valid visa for entry to Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States of America and a valid airline ticket for travel via the United Kingdom as part of a journey from another country or territory to the country in respect of which the visa is held;
A valid visa for entry to Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States of America and a valid airline ticket for travel via the United Kingdom as part of a journey from the country in respect of which the visa is held to another country or territory;
A valid airline ticket for travel via the United Kingdom as part of a journey from Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States of America to another country or territory, provided that the transit passenger does not seek to transit the United Kingdom on a date more than six months from the date on which he last entered Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States of America with a valid visa for entry to that country;
A valid USA I-551 Permanent Resident Card issued on or after 21st April 1998;
A valid Canadian Permanent Resident Card issued on or after 28th June 2002;
A valid common format Category D visa for entry to an EEA State;
A valid common format residence permit issued by an EEA State pursuant to Council Regulation (EC) No. 1030/2002;
A diplomatic or service passport issued by the People’s Republic of China; or
A diplomatic or official passport issued by India; or,
A diplomatic or official passport issued by Vietnam.

Thanks in Advance

Please print out a copy of the page from the website and take it with you to the airport.

Annoyingly, the only ones who care about this are the ones in the US airport that you will board the flight at and again when you board the plane in India to come back. Nobody really checks this fact at Heathrow.

Hi buddy68, you mentioned using some kind of "visa processing service" after the fingerprints are done to expedite. What are they and how can I contact them ?

My fingerprint appointment is on 11/21 and I travel on 11/28. (paid online on 11/18) .

Thanks in advance.

The British embassy has the following locations:
http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/our-offices-in-the-us/other-locationsin-us/

There are 3 offices that work with couriers : New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles. The details are provided on this page. If you are going to work with one of these couriers, give them your timeline and make sure they can deliver

https://www.visainfoservices.com/Pages/Content.aspx?Tag=HowDoIApply_PAGE#VAP

If you live in a state not covered by these offices, FEDEX it to them and they will courier it back to you. A week should be plenty of time. If you work with NY, Chicago or LA use the couriers. Otherwise FEDEX it immediately, follow all their requirements carefully and you should be OK.

Thanks

Hi buddy68.
You must have mentioned the right link for the couriers, but somehow I did not see the courier name or contact info.

My visa application is with Los Angeles and I stay in Houston TX.

Anyway, I sent the papers (after biometrics) to A BRIGGS. (http://www.abriggs.com)

I'll post my experience with them here.

Thanks.

Transit Visa for UK

I used the services of abriggs ( http://www.abriggs.com/ ) to get the Direct Airside Transit Visa (DATV) needed for flying British Airways for my son who doesn't have his GC yet.
Got my son's biometrics done last friday, fedex-ed the docs to the LA office of abriggs to reach Monday morning.
The docs were received, submitted and processed on Monday and fedex-ed back. I have the docs in my hand today (tuesday).
It is expensive no doubt ( $165+$23 ) for the services, but worth it. You get to speak to the same live person everytime - no phone menus. The real time status on the web site works as well.

We're off to India !!

Abiggs is good....

I got DATV through Abiggs within 2 days. I would definitely recommend it to others...They are very prompt...I stay in sfo got it done through LA office.....